SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size packing i need for my stuffing box??? I have a 71' G30 and purchased 3/16th GTU Gore packing...... Not sure if its big enough.....

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Open up the stuffing box, pull the first wrap of stuffing out, compare it to what you bought. If the two are the same size, go ahead and finish the job. If the stuff you bought is too small, put some "homemade stuffing" (strips of cloth, maybe from an old t-shirt or something; I once used some paper towel for this very purpose) around the shaft as a very temporary replacement, tighten the nut back onto the stuffing box, run to the store (with that old wrap in hand) and get the right stuff, come back and finish the job.

Oh, and check the clamps and hose while you're mucking around down there.

·
Master Mariner
8,986 Posts
Open up the stuffing box, pull the first wrap of stuffing out, compare it to what you bought. If the two are the same size, go ahead and finish the job. If the stuff you bought is too small, put some "homemade stuffing" (strips of cloth, maybe from an old t-shirt or something; I once used some paper towel for this very purpose) around the shaft as a very temporary replacement, tighten the nut back onto the stuffing box, run to the store (with that old wrap in hand) and get the right stuff, come back and finish the job.

Oh, and check the clamps and hose while you're mucking around down there.
As the man said, take a piece from your stuffing box and use that for finding what you need. You have two choices; flax packing, which has been around forever, and teflon packing. I personally have no preference, but others may have, so they can speak up on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts