SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through the centerboard system on my 1968 Morgan 34. My immediate query involves the sizing and installation of the stuffing or packing box hose, which I am replacing.

The tube (think stern tube) exiting the centerboard well is 1-5/8" OD. The hose end of the packing box has a raised lip of 1-13/16" OD and about 5/16" in width, then narrows to an OD of 1-11/16".

From my internet research, I've settled on using Buck Algonquin Packing (5 ply) Hose. The nearest fits are 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" ODs. Will either of those work? Can I stretch (and if so, how) the 1-1/2" hose to fit; or, can I get enough clamping pressure on the 1-3/4 hose for a waterproof seal?

Also, I'd like opinions, experiences with using either a good quality t-bolt clamp or good quality standard non-perforated hose clamp (for example, AWAB). I only have 1" of tube showing from the centerboard well and am not certain whether I'll be able to get two regular 1/2" width band clamps installed. Might I be better with one 3/4" width t-bolt clamp?

All ideas/thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Thought I'd send an update, in case it's useful to others. I found two potential solutions:
  • Buck Algonquin does make a 1 - 5/8" packing box hose. It's available from Deep Blue Yacht Supply. Unfortunately, it only comes in 12" lengths at about $27.00
  • I found a posting reporting success fitting a 1 - 1/2" hose to 1 - 5/8" fittings. That's widely available in 4" lengths for $6-$9.

I'm cheap, so I've ordered the 1.5" hose for a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts