SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the name implies, this might be a stupid question. I'm about to undertake the restoration of an 82 Catalina 27 and intend on doing the factory recommended keel upgrade. Long story short; the process involves removing and rebedding the keel bolts.

Can this be done with the boat blocked up and on stands? Any special precautions I need to take?

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used to swap keels on an Andrews 70 every few months. Our processs was to destepped the mast, put the boat on stands, jack the keel up just to take the weight, then unbolt the mast. The travel lift carries the boat away san keel and places it on top of the new keel. Install new jack stands and bolt the new keel in place.
My situation will be a bit different. The boat is not at a marina (with the benefit of a lift) and the mast is already down. I don't need to remove the keel, just unbolt it. In doing so, I'm wondering if there are any precautions I need to take as the boat is on stands.

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been done! Drop the keel a few inches while on a cradle/stands. Of course the boat will be top heavy without the keel attached even if it's only a few inches above it. Guy lines would surely be needed to keep her from going over. Stands and other type of hull support would need to be very very secure also. I keep wondering about getting epoxy on the bottom of the encapsulated keel of my boat. everyone says "don't worry" :)
If I drop the keel a few inches, will the stands not damage the hull as it's now taking the weight of the boat (vs the keel)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.