SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
I used a wire brush and PB Blaster. I have a really strong stainless steel brush which worked very well. I also have a drill-mounted set that I could have used, but that wasn't necessary. I think the big thing that helped me was putting the PB Blaster in the week before. I noted in one of MaineSail's articles that he mentioned not spraying penetrating oil near the transmission because it will ruin the seals, so I sprayed some into the PB Blaster cap, dipped Q-tips in the oil, and then used the Q-tips to apply the oil to the flange and the stuffing box nuts. In a couple cases (like adding oil to the keyway and the screw holes in the flange) I poured the oil out of the cap, too, but typically I just used the Q-tip. The penetrating oil was able to soak in for a week before I made any attempt to remove anything.

One of the biggest problems I had was actually getting the wrenches to work on the stuffing box nuts. The nuts are about 1.5" across at the flats. I had an adjustable wrench that went to 1.25, and channel locks that went bigger. The channel locks were tough to use because I was reaching so far away. I wound up taking Maine Sail's advice and getting a 10" pipe wrench at Home Depot to try to make things easier. Unfortunately, when I got it back to the boat, there were a lot of clearance issues with the pipe wrench. Between a handle that got tangled in cables and wires to very limited clearance under the shaft, it was a real pain. I even tried the other adjustable wrench he mentioned (a different kind of pipe wrench) but it just kept slipping off the nut or coming unlocked. The pipe wrench did eventually knock the nut free, but I suspect that was more luck than anything.

I had to lay down on top of the engine to get to the stuffing box, and I still have bruises on my chest from it. If you're doing something similar, bring a few old pillows, a moving blanket, or something else to help cushion things.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah this work sucks...not fun...I or better put one of the workers had the privilege of getting back there and he could bareley fit...and get a good angle on the spanners...

but we tightened the sucker up a bit jeje

great progress btw!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Jim;

Sorry ta hearofyer shaft woes. :eek:
My boat-buddy cautioned strenuously against using pipewrenches on the seal cap. He recommended a special"spud" wrrench used for sink baskets. I ended u using a pair of 12" pipe whrenches. It's all about the leverfage and pressure ;) Fortunately, mine moved easily and a slight push tightened it suifficiently.
AFA the bruises..... be careful,as sternum bruises can take quityte some time toheal.. DAMHIK !
I end up goin in over my fuel tank using a couple of handy fenders as padding. Only troublenis *(then* the wrench ends/tailpiece are just out of finger reach. I learned to take a wire "hook"along to fish the suspect pieces up from tthe bilge :D

Hopeitallworks out forya,
Paul

·
2,449 Posts
I'm coming to this thread late but I'd like to add a couple of things.

Mistakes can happen especially in the spring and fall when they're hauling/launching a lot of boats. For that reason I'm always there for haul/launch.

Since garboard plugs are rare, I'd hang a sign off the binacle "Install Garboard Plug Before Launch" just to play it safe.

Because they're uncommon why take a chance there might be an oversight?

Not a criticism of Jim or the yard. Just my own paranoia. When I installed a new seacock for my AC I hung a sign "New seacock do not launch without owner". The yard guys got a good laugh - they also told me it was a good idea because sh!t happens.

·
2,449 Posts
To those suggesting the yard has and agenda -- I have a LOT of experience with this yard and they've always treated me fairly. They'll also work with you if you're doing your own work. But like any yard a lot depends on how you approach them (BTW fair and cheap are not the same).

Jim, if you can't get the flange off talk with Dennis or Tommy and ask how much they'd want to press it off. They'll probably tell you it will be an hourly charge rather than quote you a flat rate.

That's because they really don't know how long it will take. I've done this job and it can be a *****. I know Dave has a hydraulic press for cutlass bearings, not sure if he has one for the flange.

I had to cut mine off and go to a split flange. If your boat is like mine you'll never get a sawzall in there. I had to use abrasive wheels on a Rotozip and a Dremel.

I'd offer you a hand but I'm working seven day weeks right now. Island Time is still sitting under her cover by the travel lift in the same yard as Dragon Wing. It will be well into May before I can even think about getting her ready to launch. :mad:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When we had Dragon Wing pulled in November, I bit the bullet and had the marina winterize her. It was our first year with her, and the forecast called for below-freezing temps before I could get out there again, so I figured it was better, and possibly MUCH less expensive (if the freeze caused engine problems), to have them do it. Their winterization included changing the oil and pumping antifreeze into the raw water system (our 5416 being fresh water cooled), and I was glad it was done.

Your questions are not "stupid" but I would suggest making your posts more succinct. Get to the point. Help us help you.

When I finally got to the boat a few weekends later, I saw that there was a hole in my bilge. In researching this, it turns out that I have a Garboard plug, and the marina had pulled the plug for me which allowed the bilge to drain. Given the leaks that have developed over the winter, I was REALLY glad they did this because it helped prevent other damage.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I was out there and found the garboard plug itself. I sat that in the galley with the keys for the engine, thinking that the marina would likely start the engine to move the boat to her slip.

You "found" the plug? Was it laying near the dumpster or something? Hopefully, they placed it where they would remember to put in before they splashed her. If not, you should have questioned their competence at that point. Otherwise, you probably should have left it where it was

Given the engine issues we had last year, I decided I would also take a quick peek at the engine compartment to see if I could see any oil leaks, etc. As I took the cover off, I saw that one of two caps on top of the engine (I think it was the left-hand cap when viewing the engine from the front, which appeared to have oil-related specifications stamped into it). I wasn't sure if this was standard procedure or not (this being our first winter with an inboard), so I took it off the engine and placed it on the counter next to the plug and the keys, along with a note that said something like "Garboard Plug and Engine Oil Cap" as reminders to them that this stuff needed to be done.

If they needed a note telling them what the parts were, or that they needed to be replaced, you definitely had the boat in the wrong yard!

Today is launch day. I got a call from the marina shortly after noon; they had launched the boat and wanted the combination to my cabin because they wanted to check on things. This means that the boat was put in the water without the garboard plug, and without them going inside to put that cap back on the engine. Is this standard practice? Was I supposed to have put the garboard plug in already myself? How about the cap for the engine, was I supposed to know that a) it was off and b) that I should have put it back on?

No, you are paying for the service. The cap should have been replaced when the oil change was done, and the plug CERTAINLY should have been replaced before launch! They "Wanted to check on things"? Yeah...like why the bilge pump was spewing water out of the stern! I don't understand why they would launch a boat without access to the salon. How would they know that the bilge pump was in the auto position (before it started spewing)? SOP is to check for leaks, open valves, disconnected hoses,etc. while the boat is in the slings. But then...I don't understand how they changed the oil without access in the first place, or were supposed to find the parts and note on the counter without it. In any case, I would be hesitant to bring the boat back to this yard.

We picked this marina because they are supposed to be very reputable. So far, I am not seeing them live up to the reputation. But then, maybe I'm expecting too much of them.
Not really, somebodie's not paying attention!

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Jim! I drive past Island Time every time I head out to work on Dragon Wing. I keep checking to see if you are there, but it's like you're reading my posts and intentionally choosing days when I'm not there.

Good luck getting her fitted out! I have a busy May, and I'm not sure how much I'll be down to the boat that month. So, I'm trying to get everything done before then. Hopefully I'll see you out on the water this summer!

·
2,449 Posts
Jim! I drive past Island Time every time I head out to work on Dragon Wing. I keep checking to see if you are there, but it's like you're reading my posts and intentionally choosing days when I'm not there.

Good luck getting her fitted out! I have a busy May, and I'm not sure how much I'll be down to the boat that month. So, I'm trying to get everything done before then. Hopefully I'll see you out on the water this summer!
LOL, not avoiding you I haven't been there!

Luckily I don't have a long project list this spring, and most of it can be done after she's splashed.

The only thing I need to do while she's on the hard is to mount the new bow sprit. I ordered the Doyle UPS kit from Catalina so we can spend more time sailing on those light air mornings while the power boaters are still sleeping off their hangovers. :laugher

BTW, we're moving to Ted & Sons this season. Sandy gave birth to some seriously ugly electrical gremlins at our old marina. They're risking a dock fire and if it happens I don't want to be there.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Jim,
Back in 2011 we wanted to replace our Cutless bearing. After disconnecting the flange from the transmission we found that our old bronze shaft was worn badly at the Cutless.
In retrospect this was the best thing that could have happened as we shifted away from trying to remove the flange from the shaft in the cramped, uncomfortable engine compartment and focused on cutting the shaft with a Sawzall. Less than 2 minutes of cutting with a sharp, new metal blade the deed was done and the flange came out of the boat with it's piece of shaft in it. The prop also came easily out of the boat with it's piece of shaft in it. Removing the shaft from the flange & prop was easily done in a shop environment using a puller (like the one you are using).
A new SS shaft was ~ $250, fit & faced old flange ~ $50. Yes, a bit of money but so much more gratifying to be able to the new shaft back in than trying to wrestle the old shaft out of the boat and getting hung up on this frustrating & uncomfortable task.
Some pictures of how this process went for us:
2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild | Odalisque

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jim - my BF keeps his boat at Haven Harbour also- been there for about 8 years, after they totally screwed up almost every project he gave them, he's been taking his boat to Annapolis for any work that needs to be done - from engine, gelcoat to rigging!

Maybe I'll see you down there some time. Good luck!

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Blueman, I'm now on Barnegat Bay. The marina is pretty, but over priced for how we use the boat, and I really haven't been all that thrilled with the owners so far. Now, in their defense, I wasn't there much of the season. But from what I've seen they are out to make a buck, rather than keep a happy customer. I know Jim has had a different experience, and I will admit that my perception may be colored by other events. But we've decided to move.

Jim, I thought about Ted's; you'll have to let me know what you think of them. I liked the location! :) We're moving up to Lanoka Harbour this year. It's a "no frills" marina, but the bathrooms are clean, the people seem nice, and we got a slip that should work well for us.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Mistakes can happen especially in the spring and fall when they're hauling/launching a lot of boats. For that reason I'm always there for haul/launch. Since garboard plugs are rare, I'd hang a sign off the binacle "Install Garboard Plug Before Launch" just to play it safe..
I agree...I saw a boat get dropped hard once, resulting in significant hidden damage. I doubt the owner would have ever known about it had he not been there.

Yeah...mistakes happen, but leaving the oil cap off AND splashing the boat without the plug is a definite indication somebody is not paying attention.
If I was the yard, I'd hang the sign from the Garboard hole!
Why would you leave the plug out anyway? Once the bilge is drained, it's drained, right (unless you have a very leaky boat)? Forgive my ignorance...I'm in California where we don't have to deal with such issues!

·
2,449 Posts
Blueman, I'm now on Barnegat Bay. The marina is pretty, but over priced for how we use the boat, and I really haven't been all that thrilled with the owners so far. Now, in their defense, I wasn't there much of the season. But from what I've seen they are out to make a buck, rather than keep a happy customer. I know Jim has had a different experience, and I will admit that my perception may be colored by other events. But we've decided to move.
I hear you. I try to go by my personal experience, but I know the owner has rubbed some people the wrong way. But then every marina I've been in the owners have been quirky. :rolleyes:

I really liked where we were and we have a lot of friends there. It was a great location and we had a dock with really good people. But there was drama every year over the owners finances and marina repairs. This year it reached a point where the electric scared the hell out of me so it was time to go.

Jim, I thought about Ted's; you'll have to let me know what you think of them. I liked the location! :)
Someone suggested we take a look at Ted's and it was a really pleasant surprise. It looks kind of run down from the street because of some old boats, but when you get inside it's all new docks, new electric, new bathrooms, etc. We'll see what our dockmates are like. I figure if we don't like it we'll move on.

We're moving up to Lanoka Harbour this year. It's a "no frills" marina, but the bathrooms are clean, the people seem nice, and we got a slip that should work well for us.
Let me know how you like Cedar Creek and how you like the marina.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
We're going to Laurel Harbour Marina and Yacht Club. The marina itself is kind of junky, but it's in a very protected location. Plus, there is a huge playground right across the street where our kids can burn off some energy, which is good. No pool, but at this point that has gotten knocked down on the priority list.

I tried to get into Cedar Creek last year, but they were booked. I didn't bother calling them again this year.

I will be very curious to hear what you think of Ted's. I liked being on Forked River, and Ted's docks started (literally) about 100 feet from where Dragon Wing was at the end of the season.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Success! After about 3 hours last weekend and another roughly 4 hours today, I managed to get the flange off, and without damaging the shaft. I used an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. The cutting was done in less than 30 minutes. It still took me another 3 hours to get the thing off. But it's off!! Unfortunately I missed the window when the prop shop is open. Now I need to figure out whether I'm going to take a day off this week and have it done near the boat, or take it to a shop in my area, if I can find one.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Jim - my BF keeps his boat at Haven Harbour also- been there for about 8 years, after they totally screwed up almost every project he gave them, he's been taking his boat to Annapolis for any work that needs to be done - from engine, gelcoat to rigging!

Maybe I'll see you down there some time. Good luck!
Haven Harbor is one of the most reputable places to have work done on the Chesapeake. Especially Yanmar work. Their customer service is excellent and the stand by their repairs.

I have never had an issue with them and have taken my boat there quite a few times

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Success! After about 3 hours last weekend and another roughly 4 hours today, I managed to get the flange off, and without damaging the shaft. I used an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. The cutting was done in less than 30 minutes. It still took me another 3 hours to get the thing off. But it's off!! Unfortunately I missed the window when the prop shop is open. Now I need to figure out whether I'm going to take a day off this week and have it done near the boat, or take it to a shop in my area, if I can find one.
Gotta love cutting wheels! Good Job Jim!

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Good news Jim

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
While you are in there check you engine mount nuts and bolts for tightness.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts