SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why, Oh, why did you not get yourself into the navy?
I was a ship nut and when I turned 17, off I went. I learned it all: Flags, Morse code (visual & audible), semaphore, seamanship...all of it. I served on both coasts, Viet Nam, hydrofoils, ......18 countries in all. I have never recovered; I still tell Navy stories. I served 9 active years and was discharged in '71. You should have gone. Or maybe you should go.
When I finished High School I was accepted into the Canadian Navy ROTP program along with a few universities. But being Canadian we only had 3 Oberon diesel electric subs then. The Prime Minister at the time was going to buy nuclear subs from the US navy. But that didn’t happened and I was always more drawn to the nukes. My parents told me to go to university first and then if I still wanted to join the navy I could. That was 15 years ago and I never did join the navy. But I do have three radio controlled subs, one I built when I was 14 or 15 and whenever I get the chance I go aboard any sub I can. If I was an American or Canada had purchaser the nuclear subs it is safe to say I would have joined the navy. I wont join now as i couldn't take the pay cut. I would have to sell my sailboat and i not going to do that. lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I finished High School I was accepted into the Canadian Navy ROTP program along with a few universities. But being Canadian we only had 3 Oberon diesel electric subs then. The Prime Minister at the time was going to buy nuclear subs from the US navy. But that didn’t happened and I was always more drawn to the nukes. My parents told me to go to university first and then if I still wanted to join the navy I could. That was 15 years ago and I never did join the navy. But I do have three radio controlled subs, one I built when I was 14 or 15 and whenever I get the chance I go aboard any sub I can. If I was an American or Canada had purchaser the nuclear subs it is safe to say I would have joined the navy. I wont join now as i couldn't take the pay cut. I would have to sell my sailboat and i not going to do that. lol
Yeah. I guess it's a little late. Maybe.

You do know that Canadians are allowed into the US armed services, don't you?

Anyway, maybe you can put your interests into use some other way. Like working on the civilian model now under discussion. My brother never was in the submarine navy, and was a member of DSRV crew in San Diego. There are all sorts of underwater opportunities.

In fact, some years ago there was a human powered submarine race in Florida. Really! We went and watched. They still have the competition.
Here:
International Submarine Races

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Of course, for the sake of the "project", I have to attempt to make the venture look feasible, otherwise no project, no grade, and unfortunately, the college did not give us a realistic amount of time to find alternatives.
If those are the instructions you got from your instructor, someone needs to talk with him/her. Making something look economically feasible that isn't economically feasible is a fast way to economic disaster.

But where else in the world do we have people who do/have done things like that? Well, perhaps:

-- USSR (1917-1989)
-- Cuba (1958?-present)
-- Mao's China
-- Venezuela (today)
-- Washington, DC (today) -- various bailouts and cap & trade come to mind.

But I'm getting OT, sorry!

Good luck with your project and you'll get a better grade in life if you call'em like you see'em, regardless of what those in authority might tell you to do.

This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.
William Shakespeare

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Hey, sign me up... is it a problem that I sleep with the window open?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts