SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple disasters on July 4th, but all's well that ends well and my wife and I had a nice Independence Day.

Anyway, here's the scenario: Catalina 22 swing keel, modest wind with a few white caps on a small lake in the city, my wife's fourth time on a sailboat so I went with my smallest jib (70%?) and reef in the main. We left the dock and tacked upwind, I had her run the tiller for a bit to get a feel for things and it was nice sailing. We hit the upwind end of the lake then turned and headed downwind wing-and-wing with the little jib poled out. When we hit the downwind end of the lake I sheeted everything in and went to tack back upwind.

Shortly after this everything went haywire. I lost speed. I couldn't point. I had the tiller almost all the way to lee and all I could make is a beam reach. If I threw the tiller all the way over the boat came to a halt, the bow fell off, and I jibed. I jibed back and forth a couple times, could never get the boat to point high enough to tack, and I was slowly moving leeward. I lost my mojo a bit and started losing the jib sheets during the jibes and I was just not at my best.

Finally I dropped the trolling motor in (city lake, no outboards allowed) and motor sailed back upwind. After a while I turned the motor down and it felt like I was sailing. Finally I turned the motor off and it seemed like I was sailing OK, but at that point I didn't want to freak my wife out anymore so I anchored under sail (another disaster for another thread).

It ended well, we cooked hot dogs and watched a movie on the iPad and watched the sun set while we waited for fireworks. The fireworks were great and I docked and grabbed my mooring in the dark without problem, so the day wasn't a complete disaster.

Anyway, what the he!! could have happened to my boat? Why the leeway and the lee helm and the general badness? The lake is really high so a lot of junk has floated into it, so my best guess is that I picked up some grass or a stick or something either on the keel or the keel cable.

I had to leave town the next morning so I haven't had a chance to check anything out.

Any guesses?

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
The lake is really high so a lot of junk has floated into it, so my best guess is that I picked up some grass or a stick or something either on the keel or the keel cable.
That would be my guess too.

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
OK, try this one.

Ghosting alone, maybe 2 knots. The sails pull taunt. My son and I look at each other, then the boat heels hard to port and swings 30 degrees on its own. Then, rights itself and goes on like nothing happened.

Something in the water. Probably submerged lobster buoy for me. For you . . . lake kraken, I'm positive. Or, might be a log caught on your keel for a bit?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Loch Ness Monster...

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last year this was in the lake:

But this year the city moved it to another lake, so I'm going to rule out the Kraken/Loch Ness Monster solution.

So debris would do that? I haven't been sailing that long and it was a very disconcerting experience. I'll have to work out a strategy for clearing the keel / keel cable.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Aside from the likely possibility of some junk snagged on your keel or rudder, has the wind direction/strength changed by any chance?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you try turning everything off and back on again? ;)
Hahaha. I once had some type of electrical issue (can't recall specifically what it was) and spent ages trying to figure it out, all the while my wife kept telling me to turn stuff off and back on. I finally did just to quiet her and it actually fixed the issue (at least temporarily)...needless to say now whenever ANYTHING is wrong, I am constantly reminded of that...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you raise the CB for the downwind leg?
No, it's a 550 pound weighted keel, I leave it down all the time for stability.

Did you try turning everything off and back on again? ;)
I'm an IT manager, I say that a dozen times a day! :)

Aside from the likely possibility of some junk snagged on your keel or rudder, has the wind direction/strength changed by any chance?
No, about the same wind. Besides, a wind change should completely keep me from making upwind progress.

I can't wait till I get back in town on Wednesday so I can go back out and check things. The 450 hp ski boat someone has here at the lake is fun and all, but it doesn't have any sails...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
It could be , but the boat will sail sideways and roll a lot.
of course! I meant for trying to remove any weeds and junk that might get in between the keel and the cable

just like you would on a dinghy...rudder and daggerboard up, clear junk back down..

simple:)

Reactions: oysterman23
1 - 20 of 37 Posts