SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Suggestions for having a large dog on our liveaboard???

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnJClark 
#1 ·
We just purchased a Morgan 41OI, and plan to live aboard in the winter. We have a well-trained and well-behaved but large dog that we'll need to take with us. Any of you out there in this situation? Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
I circumnavigated with a fairly large dog. She ate canned food, table scraps and fish when we caught it. I had a one meter square piece of astro turf (artificial grass) that she'd do her business on, which was roped so we could throw it overboard to wash. She was literally brought aboard just a few weeks after birth, so the boat was the only home she ever knew and she preferred her little square of grass to going ashore. We rarely took her ashore.
I'm not sure how an older dog will adjust to the boating life. Many nations require quarantine, others very recent medical certificates. Always contact the embassy or consulate of any place you are heading with an animal aboard to have all the proper documentation before you arrive.

#3 ·
We lived aboard and cruised with a Labrador. She adapted well to living on the boat including sailing to FP. Her claws were hard on the cabin soul and ladder to the deck. We had to steady her as she climbed the rather steep and tall ladder in the companionway but no big thing.

Tried all the conventional tricks to do her necessaries on the deck without luck. She refused to do it on the boat, despite all our efforts. Time finally came when we were close to leaving on our cruise and we had to make the decision to take her or leave her with friends. In a last ditch attempt we went on a short cruise and wouldn't let her off the boat. She held it for a day or two and finally let loose on the fiberglass deck. We gave her plenty of love and positive reinforcement afterwards and alll was fine afterward. She picked a spot on the walkway to use. We'd scoop it overboard and wash down with a bucket of seawater and all was fine.

Get all the shots that your Vet can imagine before you leave. Unfortunately our dog caught a newly emerging distemper virus in the Marquesas and died.

#6 ·
I love dogs, but I just don't get them on boats. Hair and nails are hard on a boat. I've seen poor bastard boat owners driving their pooches to shore in their dinghies, during gales and torrential rains.

My bigger concern is whether the dog really like it or not. Since pets rely on their owners to be fed, there is a portion of affection that is forced. Do they really want to be aboard, or is that simply where there meal provider is? Some dogs get seasick, just like humans. Do they get a vote on continuing, like crew would?

I just don't relate obviously. Worry it can be a selfish move that's not in the dog's best interest, unless it's possible to determine the dog loves it. I'm sure some dogs do love it, just like some humans. And some don't.

#7 ·
It took a little training, when she was a puppy, ( I rescued her at 8 mos. ) to get my dog used to the long metal transition docks, I had to give her a treat every foot or so in the beginning to get her to walk down it. I did that all winter one year. Now she goes to the boat and hops on by herself as soon as I let her out of the car. She's fine off the leash on the docks too. Mine, still won't go down the companion way stairs, too steep. I carried her down once, but at 55 lbs, I'm not doing that anymore. ;-) She tolerates being onboard for a short sail ( 3-4 hours max.) She has her cushion in the cockpit, and is pretty sure footed on deck, and will find a shady spot to nap, but the boat is definitely not her favorite place. I do think they are pretty adaptable and if the situation required it, I'm sure she'd eventually adjust. But, her happy place is on Terra-Firma in her yard, or in the woods on our hikes. She likes the water, but not over her head. I really have no need to push her beyond her comfort level or mine for that matter, at this time. It would be a lot of work. They all have different personalities/breeding If they get started at a very young age, and really take to the water, it might be an easy transition. Salt water consumption is not good for dogs, ( or people) so they have to learn not to drink it. ( have plenty of fresh water available)

#11 ·
It's a local distillery and it is actually a very good Rum to my taste. It's pretty smooth and has what as best as I can describe a hint of a butterscotch like flavor in it. I have many of the usual Rums aboard, this is one of my favorites. The dog doesn't like it as much. ;-)

#12 ·
I don't think it's a good thing to do to a large dog... We have had small dogs... but we are living aboard with them. They liked to go to the boat because they got to visit new places and smells. But heeling was tough on them... almost cruel. Hard to get the big ones on and off. Please reconsider. I know pooch is part of your family... but don't be selfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.