SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this cam cleat that is for the jib sheet and I want to do something else with it. As you can see, it is in a really perfect spot for the winch, but that is also the cockpit of the boat and it hits you right in the back all the time. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't afford a self tailing winch, but have considered trying a wincher. They are cheap enough to give a try, but thought I would ask here first to see if anyone have something else that I am over looking.
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle

Thanks
Cmessa

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
One Idea:
Get on the West Marine mailing list. Usually about late February or March, for 3 days or so, they sell Lewmar winches, 2 for the price of 1.
Three years ago I replaced our OEM Lewmar 30ST pair on the housetop with two new Lewmar 40ST. After selling off the 30's, the net cost for the upgrade was about $700. Heck of a Deal. :)

You will love having new self tailing winches and that solves the cleating problem you are having.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
That is a lousy spot for the cam cleat. I wonder if it's original or added along the way. I'd move it up on top of the coaming, or just put a regular cleat up there. I know you took self tailing off the list, but you wouldn't get the smile off your face, if you went that route.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Minnewaska I think it is the original spot, I don't see any other place that looks like it had something else installed. Crazy if it is the stock location, very bad place. I thought about moving it up, but was not sure if the angle would be good or not.

I am definitely going to use a regular cleat if no one has anything else that might be better.

CMessa

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@olson34 I think I am on that list, I will have to pay attention when the sales start to happen this winter. I don't need much for the jib sheet, they are just so much more expensive then the non-self tailing winch! But like you both said, it would be a much better solution. I think I will wait until spring before I install a regular cleat, just in case I catch a sale over the winter. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
not sure if the angle would be good or not.
Good point. It may require a lead of some sort, if you moved it. Cams are pretty convenient, but not as safe and secure as other methods, no matter the angle. I have a couple cams aboard, for less important tasks, and it's not uncommon for the line to be knocked out of it.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Minnewaska I think I will wait for the sales this winter and see if I have the money to get a self tailing winch. If not, then I will go with a regular cleat. The only issue I see would be releasing the jib sheet quickly if needed, but I don't have enough experience to know if that is a real problem or not. When I have been sailing, if we need to spill air, we would release the main sheet and do it that way.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@capecodda That is an interesting cleat, do you know what it is called? Trying to find on west marine. That, along with the grip textured gelcoat behind that winch and some turns on the winch, might provide plenty of grip for my needs and it would be quick release!

Did you install it with the angled end facing the winch so that you got at least a half of a wrap on the other end of the cleat and then pull the line tight into the angled part?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm looking for a good picture for you of one in use, but the inter web has evidently given up on this ancient history of sheeting jibs .... As I recall, the long part with the jam in it is away from the winch, and it works sort of as you described...no big wraps so you can dump the jib when you need to. Here's another one for sale someplace....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I had jam cleats on my C&C 35 and loved them. I had self-tailing winches, but, when sailing singlehanded, usually used the jam cleats instead of the self-tailers. They were quicker and more efficient.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that last picture is what I was thinking about, that way it would have at least half a wrap around the cleat before it jammed into place. Saw some for sale like the link you posted, but don't look near as nice as your original picture. Gives me a description to start with.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think so too...you end up with the tag end up and over, the loaded end towards the winch down and under. That way you can release it easy. Remember this working really well, but it's been over 30 years :).

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Definitely a self tailing winch would be my first choice. Winchers do work and are worth a try.

Having the cleat sticking out on that steel plate is a terrible idea! That would do some damage if you fell against it or bashed you knee on it. I get why they did it because it allows you to pull the sheet on and cleat it from the weather side, but how often do you do that? Even ditching the plate and mounting the cleat directly on the vertical plane of the seat back might be an option.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found this online, similar to what was posted before, but a little different. Not as good as what Capecodda posted, but might be worth a try.

Jam Cleat

I agree @SchockT it is a terrible design and definitely is going to cause an injury.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am thinking a little ways behind the winch on the same level, I need to take better look at the boat and see how much room I have before I start to run into the pulpit and things like that. Plus this is right where you would step into the boat, so several things to consider. Definitely want it out of the cockpit! It is a small boat, not a lot of room in there as it is and dodging this is a pain!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know your boat, so this is just a suggestion to think about.

It looks like the genoa sheet has quite a lot of side loading where it runs through the block . You can probably reduce that friction by running the sheet to a foot block, mounted a couple of feet (or more) behind the winch. Then in the run between foot block and the winch you have room for a rope clutch. Two foot blocks and two clutches from Garhauer $230. Garhauer is good stuff but might be bigger than you need, and you can probably do it for less if you shop around and/or look second hand.

This is similar to the arrangement on my l Catalina. There are self-tailers instead of clutches although I am going to add clutches so that I can use the primary winches for the genoa car system I have bought, but not yet installed.

Here is a picture of a Catalina 36 that I borrowed from the web.

Boat Water Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle

Reactions: Cmessa

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think so too...you end up with the tag end up and over, the loaded end towards the winch down and under. That way you can release it easy. Remember this working really well, but it's been over 30 years :).
Our boat has jam cleats for jib sheets. They work great and are easy to use; quick to secure and release. (Seen here alongside my napping 10 year old)

I'm sure self tailing winches would be an upgrade but for our boat the jam cleats have been just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts