SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We are old. Our first 2 boats didn't have self trailers. We had cleats like these behind the winch, and you just sort of jammed the line in without all the usual wrapping, so you could free it quickly. Worked fine.
Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part Fashion accessory Font

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm looking for a good picture for you of one in use, but the inter web has evidently given up on this ancient history of sheeting jibs .... As I recall, the long part with the jam in it is away from the winch, and it works sort of as you described...no big wraps so you can dump the jib when you need to. Here's another one for sale someplace....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think I had it backwards in the last message....here's one picture I found. I think the winch would actually be above this picture.....anyone remember can verify?
Camera accessory Automotive tire Communication Device Audio equipment Sports equipment

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think so too...you end up with the tag end up and over, the loaded end towards the winch down and under. That way you can release it easy. Remember this working really well, but it's been over 30 years :).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Incase it's not obvious, the idea with the jam cleat is to put it on the same surface as the winch, not the side of the cockpit where you sit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts