SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think so too...you end up with the tag end up and over, the loaded end towards the winch down and under. That way you can release it easy. Remember this working really well, but it's been over 30 years :).
Our boat has jam cleats for jib sheets. They work great and are easy to use; quick to secure and release. (Seen here alongside my napping 10 year old)

I'm sure self tailing winches would be an upgrade but for our boat the jam cleats have been just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Correct. Technically the forward cleat is for the jib sheet and the rear clear is for Spinnaker control lines that come off the rear winch.

But I regularly use the rear clear for jib sheet too when I'm solo (or when someone is sitting/sleeping in the way). Even though it's 'backwards' it works just fine and in 12 years I've not had a sheet jam, so it isn't something I worry about.

In the photo, it's obviously a light wind day (notice just one wrap on the drum), but even when it's honking, I've not had any issues with using the cleat 'backwards''.

Ymmv, this is just my experience.

~fortunat

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts