SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So is it going to happen?

We may be 800 miles from our boat right now, but due to all the Covid cancellations it looks like we are going to have more time on our hands this summer than ever. We can drive to the coast instead of fly and given the isolated cruising grounds, at this exact moment I am thinking there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get in a month or two cruising the PNW. Current marina reports show that (limited) facilities are open so fuel and water shouldn't be any more of an issue than normal and if we provision for the long term ... well let's just say I am hopeful something good might come out of this.

Anyone else care to venture a guess?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So it going to happen?

We may be 800 miles from our boat right now, but due to all the Covid cancellations it looks like we are going to have more time on our hands this summer than ever. We can drive to the coast instead of fly and given the isolated cruising grounds, at this exact moment I am thinking there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get in a month or two cruising the PNW. Current marina reports show that (limited) facilities are open so fuel and water shouldn't be any more of an issue than normal and if we provision for the long term ... well let's just say I am hopeful something good might come out of this.

Anyone else care to venture a guess?
We just received notification from our yacht club that communities in the Gulf Islands are requesting that all boaters return home. They simply do not have the medical resources to deal with extra medical emergencies, nor do they want to risk a visiting boater passing on the virus to their community. As a result all of our club's outstations have been closed until further notice.

It would not surprise me if island communities south of the border felt the same way.

Even if you load up on provisions and go to remote anchorages, eventually you may want to go ashore for water, fuel and fresh food, and I don't imagine you will be welcomed with open arms.

On the other hand, once this virus in under control, they will likely be very happy for the economic boost boaters give them, but honestly, I don't think this is going to be over soon.

Our plan this year was to go up to Desolation Sound, but that plan is up in the air now. We would be leaving our son at home, and we are not sure we want to be far away and out of communication with all the uncertainty. We may end up sticking closer to home this season.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
11,803 Posts
We just received notification from our yacht club that communities in the Gulf Islands are requesting that all boaters return home. They simply do not have the medical resources to deal with extra medical emergencies, nor do they want to risk a visiting boater passing on the virus to their community. As a result all of our club's outstations have been closed until further notice.

It would not surprise me if island communities south of the border felt the same way.

Even if you load up on provisions and go to remote anchorages, eventually you may want to go ashore for water, fuel and fresh food, and I don't imagine you will be welcomed with open arms.

On the other hand, once this virus in under control, they will likely be very happy for the economic boost boaters give them, but honestly, I don't think this is going to be over soon.

Our plan this year was to go up to Desolation Sound, but that plan is up in the air now. We would be leaving our son at home, and we are not sure we want to be far away and out of communication with all the uncertainty. We may end up sticking closer to home this season.

So making the assumption as Dr Faulci said that we are all carriers at least even though we show no symptoms, including you don’t want to be a long way from home or isolated should you start showing symptoms.

We are reviewing our End of May beginning of June 18 day vacation.
Last year we went to the LI Sound and Newport. We intended on going to the forks of Long Island but am now looking at doing the southern Chesapeake stopping at Yorktown etc. that way we are within 24 hours from home base in Annapolis.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Huh, Never even occurred to me that all the Puget Sounders are stuck south of the border. I was definitely thinking Desolation and points north. The Gulf Islands are a bit too populated.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So making the assumption as Dr Faulci said that we are all carriers at least even though we show no symptoms, including you don’t want to be a long way from home or isolated should you start showing symptoms.

We are reviewing our End of May beginning of June 18 day vacation.
Last year we went to the LI Sound and Newport. We intended on going to the forks of Long Island but am now looking at doing the southern Chesapeake stopping at Yorktown etc. that way we are within 24 hours from home base in Annapolis.
I always imagine the Chesapeake as the sort of NYC of cruising areas. But I suppose there a plenty of out-of-the-way hideyholes. As for the virus itself, I have been isolated going on a few weeks now (the joys of working from home) so I figure if we do go it will be past any incubating period. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I am not expecting much change except a new mooring location in Old Lyme, CT. which is an hr 20 min drive from home. Boat is our second home as long as we have enough food and water we can live comfortably there. We will sail within a 75 - 80 mile radius which covers lovely cruising locations.

Depending on the level of lock down I expect fewer boats on the water.

·
11,803 Posts
I always imagine the Chesapeake as the sort of NYC of cruising areas. But I suppose there a plenty of out-of-the-way hideyholes. As for the virus itself, I have been isolated going on a few weeks now (the joys of working from home) so I figure if we do go it will be past any incubating period. Time will tell.
Not at all like NYC in any way.

Most of the Chesapeake is pristine and quite uninhabited south of Annapolis where you can see no one in a day sailing . It has a huge coastline. Even up in our area of Annapolis a 2 hr sail takes you to picture perfect anchorages surrounded by bald eagle nests

https://www.vims.edu/bayinfo/faqs/estuary_size.php

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I can get to my boat, and get it launched, then I know we can 'self-isolate' for months in Newfoundland. But at this point I'm getting increasingly concerned that even driving across provincial boundaries may become impossible.
Please don't talk like that Mike! I have to say if anything about all this is bothering me its the waiting.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Whether I have a season will depend on when I can launch. I had been intending to launch next week but recreational marinas have been ordered closed as nonessential businesses. Nevertheless, I imagine many marinas - especially the smaller, more out of the way ones - will adopt more of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy if it keeps a few bucks coming in the door. If we do make it into the water, I imagine there won't be much to do other than hole up in out of the way places (not that there's anything wrong with that!). The destination marinas, waterfront restaurants, and other shoreside attractions won't be there for us for a while.

Overall, I'd predict that even if things are beginning to reopen by May, this will be a significantly suppressed boating season as some boaters will choose to sit the season out rather than face the uncertainty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Our marina on Georgian Bay, Ontario just informed us that they will be completely closed and will not be allowing customers on the property while the lock down is in place. Which is odd as watercraft/marine repair and fueling facilities are on the list of essential businesses in Ontario.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Please don't talk like that Mike! I have to say if anything about all this is bothering me its the waiting.
I dunno... I doubt that recreational marinas are considered "essential services" and most provinces are now closing those down. At least one Maritime province already has checkpoints set up at their borders in an effort to increase "self-quarantine" compliance.

At the rate we're losing our not-so-sacred personal liberties, I won't be surprised to see a complete lockdown, as has happened south of the border in some areas.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I dunno... I doubt that recreational marinas are considered "essential services" and most provinces are now closing those down. At least one Maritime province already has checkpoints set up at their borders in an effort to increase "self-quarantine" compliance.

At the rate we're losing our not-so-sacred personal liberties, I won't be surprised to see a complete lockdown, as has happened south of the border in some areas.
I think a lockdown is what it is going to take to get this thing under control.

Fortunately being in a yacht club I have access to my boat 24/7. We can travel the short distance from our house to the boat without crossing paths with a single person, and once we are on the boat we are as isolated as anyone could ask. The boat is provisioned and fueled up, so all we have to do is fill the water tanks and go.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Last year was a bust due to injury, this year's looking like it might also be a bust. Boat is currently on the hard in southern Chesapeake area, bottom done, but gunna hold off splashing as the county's board of supervisors have sent directives to all the marina and facilities to tell slip holders who are from out of town to stay home for many of the reasons mentioned here already. Our marina, which is family owned and relatively isolated, has indicated that all are still welcome if needing to work on or check on their boats but to please limit or delay discretionary visits (read actually sailing). All restaurants are closed except any that offer 'to go'. All the activities with our little yacht club have been canceled, the sail loft can't meet customers on their boats as can't practice appropriate distancing, yada yada. Bottom line we don't wish to have a boat in the water that we can't check on or use. Until something changes, our summer cruising plans look less than spectacular. Hopeful though!

....current anchorage

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,197 Posts
I have no idea whats going to happen. I had rough plans to trailer out to Nova Scotia for some cruising in the Northumberland Straight, but I have canned that idea. Have a public boat launch 3/4 of mile from home. If permitted, I think it will be local lakes, rivers and wetlands within 50 or 100 miles.

Pretty happy I have my boat on a trailer in the drive way.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I've recently discovered the joy of a quick sail to a nearby harbor. Then rent a mooring for the weekend at the local Yacht Club. On Monday morning head back having Long Island Sound all to myself. Meals on board and BBQ in the evening. Expect there will be no change in those plans as the upcoming season comes about.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
One advantage to in water winter storage... you don't need a yard to launch your boat... you just sail away. I believe our summer mooring is set and so there is no reason to not sail when the weather turns fair.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
One advantage to in water winter storage... you don't need a yard to launch your boat... you just sail away. I believe our summer mooring is set and so there is no reason to not sail when the weather turns fair.
Our issue is not going out to a close by anchorage, enjoying a couple days or so cruise, having the yard splash her, etc. it is being told we are not welcome by the local government for the same reasons islands and the like are discouraging or banning outright folks like us. We do not live there except when on our boat. Not enough medical facilities for even the locals. We simply do not wish to contribute to their stress and health issues nor have a boat in the water we cannot use nor check on. It's not what we wish, but it is what it is. As said before, we remain hopeful, but it is not about us.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts