SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I’m sure the Governor of Maryland is quite clear, and since you say you listen to the government you’d follow his proclamation. travel that is permitted is determined to be ESSENTIAL travel for essential purpose. Going to a food store is laid out already as essential. Joy riding in a boat is not.
Well if I was in Maryland... or even the U.S....

But I am done with this drift. Anyone else have any predictions about what the summer's (local) cruising season will hold?

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Chef, not all of us use our boats for "joy rides." Some of us call it home. When I am home, I'm not "joy riding," I'm cruising. This means living on my boat.

Your sailing is obviously quite different than my cruising. When I leave the dock I generally see almost no one, and rarely come within 2 metres of anyone outside of my crew. Two months of isolation happens without any real effort, so "self-isolating" for even longer periods would be easy -- easier than being in a land home.

The problem I, and perhaps MacBlaze faces, is that to get to my home I have to travel some distance. And then I need assistance from other people to help launch my boat. This is where I think the reasonable barriers might exist.

·
11,803 Posts
Chef, not all of us use our boats for "joy rides." Some of us call it home. When I am home, I'm not "joy riding," I'm cruising. This means living on my boat.

Your sailing is obviously quite different than my cruising. When I leave the dock I generally see almost no one, and rarely come within 2 metres of anyone outside of my crew. Two months of isolation happens without any real effort, so "self-isolating" for even longer periods would be easy -- easier than being in a land home.

The problem I, and perhaps MacBlaze faces, is that to get to my home I have to travel some distance. And then I need assistance from other people to help launch my boat. This is where I think the reasonable barriers might exist.
Mike,

I was not referring to the cruisers Like you of course who carry their homes with them. Or even those caught in other countries or far away from home trying to get back from winter traveling in the Carribean. Sorry if I was unclear. 😀

It was really directed to those of us who are fortunate enough to have our boats sitting in the water over the winter. Or who had been lucky enough to have them launched this spring already.

While I am ready to use Haleakula, as she has gone through her re-commissioning it goes against the MD Governors proclamation of social distancing to use her for other than ESSENTIAL purposes. So taking her out to anchor in a secluded place for a weekend joyride until Governor Hogan relaxes his rules is not possible,

Other states/ countries have different proclamations or rules, but many are similar to Maryland's. My comments were not to be a catch all..

There will be a large back up for many of the boats on the hard as in MD at least the companies and marinas have been required to close. I’m sure that after we pass the apex of this “ curve” of the virus so the restrictions can be lifted.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think people need to look at the intent of "social distancing". The idea is that you do not come in contact with other people any more than necessary and avoid large gatherings. It does not mean hunker down and cower in your homes. There is no harm in getting into your car and going for a drive, or going for a bike ride, or going sailing, as long as you are not coming into close contact with people outside your household. Indeed health officials here are encouraging people to get out and get fresh air and exercise as that is good for your immune system as well as your mental health.

The small racing fleet in our club has cancelled all organized racing because bringing crews on board, and socializing in the club afterward go against social distancing guidelines. Instead some sailors are holding impromptu races either single handed or double handed with your significant other.

I can understand prohibiting unnecessary travel in the case of disasters where emergency routes need to be kept clear for emergency vehicles, but that is not the case here. Driving down the street does not pose any risk to the public at large, and nor does going for a sail.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
It would be a good idea if on THIS SITE there were links or actual NOTICES to MARINAS related to Covid19 restrictions.

I have assumed that as my boat is in the water and I anchor...and I have no need for marina access nor shore side facilities for the most part.... especially for weekend cruising where there is no need to re provision. My water tanks are empty and I will find out if the turn the water on in Stamford where she is winter stored in water. If fuel docks are closed I can use 5 gal jerrys to top off the diesel.

I have received no notices from Old Lyme Marine where Shiva will be moored... that there are any restrictions related to Covid19.

However reading Chef's post... this may not be the case in MD.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
I think people need to look at the intent of "social distancing". The idea is that you do not come in contact with other people any more than necessary and avoid large gatherings. It does not mean hunker down and cower in your homes. There is no harm in getting into your car and going for a drive, or going for a bike ride, or going sailing, as long as you are not coming into close contact with people outside your household. Indeed health officials here are encouraging people to get out and get fresh air and exercise as that is good for your immune system as well as your mental health.

The small racing fleet in our club has cancelled all organized racing because bringing crews on board, and socializing in the club afterward go against social distancing guidelines. Instead some sailors are holding impromptu races either single handed or double handed with your significant other.

I can understand prohibiting unnecessary travel in the case of disasters where emergency routes need to be kept clear for emergency vehicles, but that is not the case here. Driving down the street does not pose any risk to the public at large, and nor does going for a sail.

Totally hear ya! The rub comes when folks travel to an area to go sailing. They are gunna need to provision, get food, gas, use bathhouses, carts, generally bring outside stuff into a otherwise closed system. We go hiking, go to stores here when needed, etc., the operant word is here! Even then we respect the need to try to limit going out. It is why mandatory orders eventually happen because folks can't manage themselves. Sailing is fine, it's the everything else before and after that is the rub. It also presumes we are thinking it is ok for us to do it based upon our rationalization of the situation. What if everybody decided it is ok? It is not about us. I keep saying this but I guess I'm not being heard nor understood. We keep our boat in a community of about 1,500 souls with limited resources. There are probably 15,000 boats there, most do not belong to the locals. Those boats are their livelihood and it is not without much soul searching such a community asks folks to remain home. What if 15,000 plus out of town boat owners showed up because each of the individual 15,000 said it really would not impact much. That's the same thing as college students going on spring break because a little fresh air was good for ya. If you don't live there stay home and get your fresh air and don't travel somewhere if a community asks you not to. Don't act like a college student. It is not about you.

Sorry but this is getting old...Im out.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Wow! Clearly you did not read my post at the beginning of the thread that says exactly that.

Since then the thread has drifted into whether it is even ok to go for a drive, or go for a daysail.

Try to keep up!

My apologies for being passionate about this. Actually I have consistently read all of the posts including yours since the beginning of this thread and have made more than one plea here myself asking folks to be mindful of not whether it is ok or no to go for a sail, cruise, kayak anything but to try to understand what it feels like to be in the shoes of people who live somewhere that a sizable population that does not live there comes to their community to recreate. We have made friends who live near our boat, we do not live near our boat. They are frankly scared given the very limited nature of resources in their community. They have a sh**y choice like many, risk loosing your livelihood or risk losing your life. Many people everywhere are faced with such. When someone decides to risk losing their livelihood to protect their family and friends we should simply respect that and not justify why it is still ok to come no matter how we say we won't interact or touch something. It is our mere presence that is causing angst. Again my apologies

You may also wish to reread my previous posts. We as a community of sailors must take care of the folks that take care of us. I know you feel that way as well.

Peace

·
11,803 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Hey all, passions become great when lives and livelihoods are at stake. I have made my position very clear. I am not referring to folks who have their boats in their backyards of even same town, though clearly even then we must be mindful. I have been very clear from the beginning that it is about the influx of folks from afar, like me. It is unfortunate that this is happening at the beginning of boating season as those same communities were looking forward to the revenue and all of us boaters getting back on the water. Take a deep breath everyone and simply respect the wishes of someone who calls an area home. It is as simple as that.

This too shall pass and am looking forward someday to a thread about places we went during the 2020 cruising season!

·
11,803 Posts
Hey all, passions become great when lives and livelihoods are at stake. I have made my position very clear. I am not referring to folks who have their boats in their backyards of even same town, though clearly even then we must be mindful. I have been very clear from the beginning that it is about the influx of folks from afar, like me. It is unfortunate that this is happening at the beginning of boating season as those same communities were looking forward to the revenue and all of us boaters getting back on the water. Take a deep breath everyone and simply respect the wishes of someone who calls an area home. It is as simple as that.

This too shall pass and am looking forward someday to a thread about places we went during the 2020 cruising season!
And we look forward to meeting up on the Bay with you sometime in the 2020 season.😀

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
If we've all finished beating our chests can we get back to the speculative topic at hand?

I am still thinking I will will be able to get in a nice couple of months, unless as Mike suggests, that the borders aren't closed. Apparently the east coast of the U.S. is not as hopeful. Sniffing around other threads makes it sound like more popular (and populous) cruising areas are likely to be closed for most of the 2020 season.

It's making me think that the PNW is going to be one of the likelier places to boat. I am gonna regret not having a watermaker though.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yes very different from where you live . Most US states made rules to protect the health and welfare of their communities

Your opinion of them being draconian shows a lack of understanding of the difficulties these communities must face. You live in a very rural area obviously.

Without the draconian laws the epidemic would be far worse and kill of many people. In spite of the draconian rules spring break , Mardi Gras took place and now there is a dramatic uptic in those areas.

Many SN readers on here face similar situations as Intetludes and mine. It is understandable why you don’t understand the situation we are all in.
No, I live in a suburban area of a city of 2 million people.

We are in the same situation here, with many businesses shut down, people working from home. Office buildings downtown nearly empty Restaurants closed or take out/delivery only. Community centers shut down. No gatherings of groups more than 10 people etc.

I say draconian because you make it sound like you are not allowed to leave your houses.

Perhaps we are not in such a dire situation because we started taking this seriously while your federal government was still telling the country it was no big deal, that they had it under control, or that it was all a big hoax. You have a significant portion of your population that still believes that it appears. Your politicians are already talking about letting people go back to work! With those mixed signals is it any wonder your local authorities feel they need to clamp down?

For us, there have been a few incidents of people breaking the rules by playing soccer games at the park, or too many people gathering in popular parks, but for the most part people are good about keeping their distance from each other.

We have been doing this for weeks so people are getting used to it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
If we've all finished beating our chests can we get back to the speculative topic at hand?

I am still thinking I will will be able to get in a nice couple of months, unless as Mike suggests, that the borders aren't closed. Apparently the east coast of the U.S. is not as hopeful. Sniffing around other threads makes it sound like more popular (and populous) cruising areas are likely to be closed for most of the 2020 season.

It's making me think that the PNW is going to be one of the likelier places to boat. I am gonna regret not having a watermaker though.
I certainly hope things will be getting back to normal up here by this summer, but it is hard to say until this thing hits its peak. Even then, the border may not fully open until they are confident you guys have it under control down there. I understand Washington State is being hit particularly hard.

·
11,803 Posts
Most of us referred to most of us living under the stay in place order in MD . Obviously you aren’t included in that in Alberta Canada

The nice thing about the internet....no one controls it. You obviously have some preconceived prejudice about the Chessie and those who sail there, thanks for showing you true colors��

No need to get the last word I think I’ve explained how I will handle the 2020 season

Stay safe

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts

Agreed, there are some excellent places, like the PNW and my cruising ground up in Newfoundland, where self-isolation is not only easy, it's the norm. In my case, I would be doing a far better job of protecting me, and everyone else, if I was on my boat. But the transition to that seasonal home is where the risk is. Simply accessing our boat may become, and remain, impossible.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Please let's understand it serves no purpose to continue ill will. I got upset because, maybe in error, I thought folks were simply not placing themselves into the shoes of someone else. I'm done with talking about my cruising plan predicitons as they are simple. Out of respect for the coastal communities I have none until I hear from them otherwise. So I predict that I won't be sailing until then! I also predict that I will have a wonderful time when I can finally slip my lines and go. Until then Imma go explore the 215,000 acres in my backyard. Densely populated with much wildlife, much plant life, not so much human life.

A view of our home cruising grounds from out across our farm. My name and a zip code gets mail to me. This has shaped my understanding of the small coastal communities and their needs. We have much in common.

Clearly not current conditions! We do love our snow though and miss it.

Be safe, be kind, be respectful of others needs. See ya out there someday.

Attachments

·
108 Posts
Our boat is in Deltaville, Virginia, with the boatyard nearby. Once she is launched, I will pick her up from the boatyard's dock, over the weekend most likely. No encounters with anyone. She is just there waiting for me, virus season or not. Marina and her slip is nearby. I never come close to anyone anyway (btw I have boat dogs, PWDs, very territorial creatures). My provisions are usually brought from home. The only time that I come close to anyone is when I am getting fuel mid-season. Currently, the tank is full, so I am good through mid July, at least.

So, the way I see it, sailing on our boat is the best social-distancing that I can practice, not to mention the stress relief that is desperately needed after another week of trying to keep the business (with 15+ employees) afloat and making sure that there is enough dough coming in to cover everyone's salaries + office expenses. I guess to each his own ... fair winds to all of you in these challenging times ...

41 - 60 of 98 Posts