SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
I spent the previous month trying to convince my agency that this was coming. Everyone has an opinion. Most jsut claimed nothing would happen. They were wrong. I kept looking at the science. Guess what the science was right.

The NYTimes model prediction today. It is saying 2 months of distancing and shut down will crush this thing significantly. I don't like that, I don't think my opinion affects it much. You can play with the model but if you shorten the time, the casualties pile up. So, following the same logic - science will be right. My prediction is below;

Memorial day things reopen, probably with restrictions and cautions. 4th of July should be subdued this year but we will be eating out, drinking in bars and going to shows. If it doesn't spike in the following weeks, I expect a good sailing summer.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
My prediction is below;

Memorial day things reopen, probably with restrictions and cautions. 4th of July should be subdued this year but we will be eating out, drinking in bars and going to shows. If it doesn't spike in the following weeks, I expect a good sailing summer.
Sounds about right.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So making the assumption as Dr Faulci said that we are all carriers at least even though we show no symptoms, including you don’t want to be a long way from home or isolated should you start showing symptoms.

We are reviewing our End of May beginning of June 18 day vacation.
Last year we went to the LI Sound and Newport. We intended on going to the forks of Long Island but am now looking at doing the southern Chesapeake stopping at Yorktown etc. that way we are within 24 hours from home base in Annapolis.
I think this is really smart. I had great plans of getting things going earlier this year (like NOW!) and doing more extensive single handed cruising around the Chesapeake. We live in New York—Albany, so not in the center of the storm thankfully—and normally fly to the boat in Baltimore.

That's all changed. Just finished a 14 day provisional quarantine after my wife was tested; negative result, thankfully. But certainly this isn't a moment I want to be flying or even going by car for a few weeks. So the boat is just sitting.

But the point that is so important in your post is considering what you will do IF you get sick while cruising. I hadn't considered that, to be honest. Everything I've read suggests onset is fast and devastating, not something to happen when you are far out on your own, alone. So... I'm going to have to do some rethinking.

Thanks, I love to have my thinking rearranged :)

·
11,803 Posts
I think this is really smart. I had great plans of getting things going earlier this year (like NOW!) and doing more extensive single handed cruising around the Chesapeake. We live in New York—Albany, so not in the center of the storm thankfully—and normally fly to the boat in Baltimore.

That's all changed. Just finished a 14 day provisional quarantine after my wife was tested; negative result, thankfully. But certainly this isn't a moment I want to be flying or even going by car for a few weeks. So the boat is just sitting.

But the point that is so important in your post is considering what you will do IF you get sick while cruising. I hadn't considered that, to be honest. Everything I've read suggests onset is fast and devastating, not something to happen when you are far out on your own, alone. So... I'm going to have to do some rethinking.

Thanks, I love to have my thinking rearranged :)
Stay safe Jim,

Maybe this season we can share an anchorage close by

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Most of us referred to most of us living under the stay in place order in MD . Obviously you aren’t included in that in Alberta Canada
So not Nfld, BC, Ont. Got it. Is it Canada you have a problem with or just anywhere not where you are?... :rolleyes:

The nice thing about the internet....no one controls it. You obviously have some preconceived prejudice about the Chessie and those who sail there, thanks for showing you true colors��
Right. Reasonable (he says in no way being reasonable).

Honest to god I woke up determined to let this go. The rest of you are so dang reasonable. I guess I am just weak.

I don't think bars will packed by July 4, or at least that it is good thing that they might. As I understand these things come in waves. I think out self-isolating in the boat will still be a reasonable thing to aim for until late summer.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Self isolating on a boat would be nice. I wish I could get to the point that I could actually see my boat. I think if I drive by the marina on the wrong side of the lane I can catch a glimpse of the bow. All marinas in CT are closed to the public. It's all fun and games until they close the liquor stores ;)

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I spent the previous month trying to convince my agency that this was coming. Everyone has an opinion. Most jsut claimed nothing would happen. They were wrong. I kept looking at the science. Guess what the science was right.

The NYTimes model prediction today. It is saying 2 months of distancing and shut down will crush this thing significantly. I don't like that, I don't think my opinion affects it much. You can play with the model but if you shorten the time, the casualties pile up. So, following the same logic - science will be right. My prediction is below;

I usually try to get to the mooring as early as possible... I am supposed to leave the in water winter store by 30 April. But I like to sail in the Spring as it's less crowded and a bit more wind... The Espar makes Spring sailing possible.

I do have some Spring prep projects the largest being painting the dink bottom and blocking off the bilge in the locker... which would see rising water after a week of heavy rain, clean the dink and put on the reg sticker and plaque. If it's blocked the locker will remain dry. No critical to use but a handy upgrade. I want to replace some running rigging... but that can wait... and then there's the normal stuff... top off water tanks...wash deck/cockpit, flush out anchor locker, refill spare, propane, clean teak, and dodger, mount the helm and cockpit take... and recommission the engine. This is not even a weekend of work... and then I am ready to go. I will try to scrub the bottom as needed and replace the zinc with a diver or at a short haul in summer after the "rush".

Unless there is a "legal" barrier I will proceed with the work and move the boat when a weather window presents.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
It's all fun and games until they close the liquor stores ;)
I love how almost universally liquor stores have been declared essential services. I think I would still be tempted to cast off without a watermaker and rely on scroung'n fresh water , but if they close the boozes stores? No way. I would be too sad to sail. :wink

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
I usually try to get to the mooring as early as possible... I am supposed to leave the in water winter store by 30 April. But I like to sail in the Spring as it's less crowded and a bit more wind... The Espar makes Spring sailing possible.

I do have some Spring prep projects the largest being painting the dink bottom and blocking off the bilge in the locker... which would see rising water after a week of heavy rain, clean the dink and put on the reg sticker and plaque. If it's blocked the locker will remain dry. No critical to use but a handy upgrade. I want to replace some running rigging... but that can wait... and then there's the normal stuff... top off water tanks...wash deck/cockpit, flush out anchor locker, refill spare, propane, clean teak, and dodger, mount the helm and cockpit take... and recommission the engine. This is not even a weekend of work... and then I am ready to go. I will try to scrub the bottom as needed and replace the zinc with a diver or at a short haul in summer after the "rush".

Unless there is a "legal" barrier I will proceed with the work and move the boat when a weather window presents.

What does OLM say about this? Are you feeling virus resistant enough to take a train or an Uber back from there?

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Now with the Quarantine Act activated here in Canada, there's no way I can get to my boat and get it ready, even if the marina is open (which I doubt). It's frustrating because I know I could better self-isolate on my boat. But I understand...

This too shall pass. But I wonder what our world will look like at the end of all this.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Now with the Quarantine Act activated here in Canada, there's no way I can get to my boat and get it ready, even if the marina is open (which I doubt). It's frustrating because I know I could better self-isolate on my boat. But I understand...

This too shall pass. But I wonder what our world will look like at the end of all this.
I am not seeing how it applies to inter-provincial travel? If so then ... bugger.

·
Banned
205 Posts
We probably won’t be heading over to Greece this summer since all of Europe is locked up tight, instead we’ll cruise up and down the East Coast of the USA between Virginia and Boston. Hopefully, my wife and daughter won’t get this bug, they just found out today that 45 of their coworkers at the hospital tested positive.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Just read NFLD's orders. It's absolutely explicit, even for inter-provincial travel. I haven't looked at other provinces, but I assume at this point all are doing the same.
I think it is only the maritime provinces that are requiring a 14 day quarantine for inter provincial travellers. With the size of our provincial borders that would be pretty difficult to enforce.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
What does OLM say about this? Are you feeling virus resistant enough to take a train or an Uber back from there?
Have to call OLM... it's too early. I can't feel my level of resistance. But I do wear an n95 if I am near people.... not in MY car but I would in an uber. Have to wait to see what things are like mid to late April. I suppose I can wear a disposable tyvek suit.

I suppose the get the hell out of winter storage date may be pushed back too.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
I think it is only the maritime provinces that are requiring a 14 day quarantine for inter provincial travellers. With the size of our provincial borders that would be pretty difficult to enforce.
Yes, I think you and MacBlaze are correct. It appears to only be in the Maritimes so far. Hopefully you folks out west will remain relatively free to travel.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mike,

This could get interesting. We are planning on staying in Dominica. But moving to Chesapeake if it’s still going on June 1, maybe. But it seems Maryland may not like that.

We had considered sailing straight to Shelbourne or Halifax but if inter-provincial travel is banned then it may be off to The Rock!

Highly unlikely, and I would have to scrounge up some clothes, but well, odder things have happened, since New Years. LOL

61 - 80 of 98 Posts