SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I needed a way to transport my kayaks when I lived in an apartment here in CA (and drove a convertible.) The way I solved the problem was to buy a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer. The wheels and tongue come off and the frame can be either rolled or carried if you are reasonably strong. If you have an inflatable dinghy, you are all set.

In Maine I have an 8' Avon inflatable. Some summers I don't feel like paying the $300 fee the town where I keep my boat charges to tie up your dinghy for the season. I just throw it in the back of the Subaru and spend five minutes inflating it when I need to get out to my mooring.

You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)

·
Registered
21,811 Posts
.....You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)
It most certainly is, for about 8 weeks per year. :wink

Reactions: JimsCAL

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A possible Northport Option because there is no dinghy dock for non residents except for transient use.

I am considering a very inexpensive inflatable that I can fit in my small trunk... and row to get to a small mooring where my RIB could be left when we're not on the mother ship... close to the town dinghy launch ramp/location. Our mooring is almost a mile out so rowing to the boat is not an option... If it's windy a cheapie dink would be a wet ride and capacity is small as well. .... row to the close in moored RIB... tow it to the dock, load up the RIB then tow the cheapie to the RIB's mooring and leave it there until we return and head home. I can put in a small mooring near the town launching ramp... parking it not an issue.

Something like:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bestway-Hydro-Force-Marine-Pro-Inflatable-Boat-Raft-W-Pump-Aluminum-Oars/10027910811?iid=392212520037

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)
The eastern end of Long Island Sound (Fishers Island Sound) isn’t so bad and neither is the rest of the coastal SE New England area. You can actually swim in this area for an order of magnitude longer than in Maine without suffering hypothermia. A MOB actually has a chance of being rescued alive if not in a wet suit.

You can actually cruise to areas with sandy beaches, like Long Island, Napatree Point, Block Island, Third Beach, Cape Cod and “the islands”(Cutthyhunk, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket). And you won’t be lonely in any of the harbors in this venue.:wink

P.S. You can actually enjoy the scenery instead of concentrating on dodging lobster gear. (Well, maybe there is the occasional fishing trawler or barge under tow.)

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Southern NE is lovely cruising grounds... but getting crowded and spendy...

++++

I could possibly leave a beached row boat and not deal with cheapie inflatables.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well once you get past car-portability, have another look at Portabote.

Often used as the only dink, and would fit slid along the wall of a friendly garage, takes up what six inches width.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My boat was on the dock at Old Man's Boatyard in Mt. Sinai when I bought it and I spend a couple of months there working on it, before I brought it north. There was a dingy dock behind the main dock for people on moorings - that was in2014 but from the satellite image, it looks like it's still there. Not sure what their relationship is to the moorings but I found them super helpful, so it might be worth a call.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
792 Posts
I forgot to add - when looking at the satellite image, it looks like Mt. Sinai Marina and Mt. Sinai Yacht Club also have dinghy docks. Good luck.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I forgot to add - when looking at the satellite image, it looks like Mt. Sinai Marina and Mt. Sinai Yacht Club also have dinghy docks. Good luck.
The problem is getting permission to store/tie up typically. NPT is for Town of Huntington Residents only... and there's a long wait list.

I will try my 2 mooring approach with a cheapie inflatatable and see how that works... not optimal but "legal".

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hello

*IF* you can get a mooring in Mt. Sinai, you can get a dinghy spot in a rack on the beach for $10.

Mt. Sinai moorings are offered to Town of Brookhaven residents first, then non residents. I have no idea if there are any mooring spots left but it's worth a call.

Barry

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello

*IF* you can get a mooring in Mt. Sinai, you can get a dinghy spot in a rack on the beach for $10.

Mt. Sinai moorings are offered to Town of Brookhaven residents first, then non residents. I have no idea if there are any mooring spots left but it's worth a call.

Barry
My dink is a 10' alum RIB with a 94 # 8HP OB... I can't get this onto a rack or drag it above the high water mark and then drag it in at low sometime and then board the dink. I need a floating dock.

My solution is simply to have a small close to the launching ramp/dock mooring I can row a few tens of yards to with a inexpensive inflatable that fits in my car.. or a old row boat that I can leave beached. This boat only will be used to go from the launching ramp/dock to the close mooring... The boat is about 1 mile out from there... hence my dink has large tubes, a large motor and is dry and fast. I could use a smaller / lighter motor, but there are times when it would be a long wet ride.

I can get a mooring and dinghy tie up out east but the car ride is 2x as long.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
21,811 Posts
Do you just bail the dingy after it rains?

Are you going to lock it to the morning ball?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Do you just bail the dingy after it rains?

Are you going to lock it to the morning ball?

Everyone has to empty a dink full of water.

I have a Gusher mounted on the transom of the dink and I have to bail it or course. Rib has a bilge (2nd floor?) so small amounts of rain are not a problem. Yes... I lock the dink to the mooring.

·
Captain Obvious
2,329 Posts
A possible Northport Option because there is no dinghy dock for non residents except for transient use.

I am considering a very inexpensive inflatable that I can fit in my small trunk... and row to get to a small mooring where my RIB could be left when we're not on the mother ship... close to the town dinghy launch ramp/location. Our mooring is almost a mile out so rowing to the boat is not an option... If it's windy a cheapie dink would be a wet ride and capacity is small as well. .... row to the close in moored RIB... tow it to the dock, load up the RIB then tow the cheapie to the RIB's mooring and leave it there until we return and head home. I can put in a small mooring near the town launching ramp... parking it not an issue.

Something like:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bestway-Hydro-Force-Marine-Pro-Inflatable-Boat-Raft-W-Pump-Aluminum-Oars/10027910811?iid=392212520037
I am on record saying that I think this not a great solution. I think the dingy to dingy transfer is just one of the problems. Time, storage, putting a stinky dingy that has been floating around Northport in your trunk. Lots of negatives. If you put Shiva in Northport, just pay Seymour's for the launch service. As for a smaller (50lb )outboard engine, it will only take an extra minute to get out to your boat but if someday you hurt your back lifting your (100lb) engine, that might be the end of your sailing season.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I am on record saying that I think this not a great solution. I think the dingy to dingy transfer is just one of the problems. Time, storage, putting a stinky dingy that has been floating around Northport in your trunk. Lots of negatives. If you put Shiva in Northport, just pay Seymour's for the launch service. As for a smaller (50lb )outboard engine, it will only take an extra minute to get out to your boat but if someday you hurt your back lifting your (100lb) engine, that might be the end of your sailing season.
Sal I will likely go for the simplest solution... Just pay for the launch service... keep my dink and motor at the mother ship and use the town transient dock... the way I use their visitors dock (which is free) for the mother ship when I board or take on water. The transfer works but it too much work!

No need to change to a smaller OB... I can use the hoist which is no problem to put the OB on the rail.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The eastern end of Long Island Sound (Fishers Island Sound) isn’t so bad and neither is the rest of the coastal SE New England area. You can actually swim in this area for an order of magnitude longer than in Maine without suffering hypothermia. A MOB actually has a chance of being rescued alive if not in a wet suit.

You can actually cruise to areas with sandy beaches, like Long Island, Napatree Point, Block Island, Third Beach, Cape Cod and “the islands”(Cutthyhunk, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket). And you won’t be lonely in any of the harbors in this venue.:wink

P.S. You can actually enjoy the scenery instead of concentrating on dodging lobster gear. (Well, maybe there is the occasional fishing trawler or barge under tow.)
Thanks, I grew up in NYC and sailed LIS with my dad out of Branford CT for many, many years. We sailed from Branford to MDI, Halifax NS. and Bermuda, so I have been to Fisher's Island, Block Island, Shelter Island, Gardner's island, Cuttyhunk, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Provincetown, Montauk even up the CT river etc. multiple times. I then spent 20 years exploring the coast of Maine in my own boats. My comparison is not based on ignorance of LIS.

·
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36
119 Posts
I'll recommend Thames Yacht Club in New London. Around $1000.00 initiation and the same for yearly dues. You own your mooring (about $1500. if you do the install with club equipment) needs inspection every 2 years, diver available at club. There is dinghy storage available but there is also a launch service available for free. The club is a very friendly, low key, working man's type club with a great beach, showers, simple food service, and moorings at Block and Fishers, and no bridges. The club does have a very active racing program if that interests you. New London has lots going on, and the train runs there if you don't want to drive, Defenders is very close by, as well as several marinas with parts and services. You are in the east end of LIS with easy access to all the best cruising to NY, CT, and RI, as well as a quick jump to the Cape and Islands, Newport, and Northern waters. Come check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'll recommend Thames Yacht Club in New London. Around $1000.00 initiation and the same for yearly dues. You own your mooring (about $1500. if you do the install with club equipment) needs inspection every 2 years, diver available at club. There is dinghy storage available but there is also a launch service available for free. The club is a very friendly, low key, working man's type club with a great beach, showers, simple food service, and moorings at Block and Fishers, and no bridges. The club does have a very active racing program if that interests you. New London has lots going on, and the train runs there if you don't want to drive, Defenders is very close by, as well as several marinas with parts and services. You are in the east end of LIS with easy access to all the best cruising to NY, CT, and RI, as well as a quick jump to the Cape and Islands, Newport, and Northern waters. Come check it out for yourself.
Sounds very interesting... I will give it a look but the setting has to be a place we would want to spend a weekend or more on the mooring... little traffic... wakes, train and motorcycle noise... and light pollution.

·
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36
119 Posts
The Thames is a busy river with ferries, subs, fishing boats, etc. After 9PM it's quiet, but for the weekend or any length of stay you'll want to be at anchor in a quiet spot of which there are many a short sail/motor away.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts