SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all,

I am forced to return home early (end of Feb.) from my 1 year off due to buisness but would like to leave the boat in northern Fla. I came down from Ohio. will return around Oct. of 09 to cruise for another 4-5 months.

I would like to find a do it yourself yard to store the boat on the hard while i am back in Ohio. not necessarily looking for the cheapest place to store, but safe and knowledegable. so far i am looking at

Brunswick landing marina,GA not a do it yourself yard but protected

Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach

Green Cove Springs, Fla. Probably a long waiting list, plan to call them after the holidays

Does anyone have other recommendations i may want to consider.

Thanks for any advice offered

S/V Wendy Michelle
Vero Beach, Fla

P.S.... I love this place

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Might want to look a bit further north, since getting insurance coverage through hurricane season might be a bit expensive if the boat is in Florida... or even Georgia.... :D Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I would have suggested up the St. Johns River for best protection in north Fl, but I see you have that listed. Sadler Point Marina in Jax, Fl is also a DIY yard, but much smaller than Green Cove. Holland Marine is also in Green Cove, not a DIY yard, but they may store for you. Another option that is a DIY yard not as far north, but a large and well-protected facility at the Titusville Basin next to the Municipal Marina. I believe the name is still Westland. 'good luck in your search, Aythya crew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the responses. fortunetly our insuance has no restrictions on where we can store, still looking at northern Fla. for safety. will check on them all.

S/V Wendy Michelle
Sunset Lake, Miami

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use a DIY yard in St. Augustine called Xynides Boatyard.[904-824-3446] They are a small yard run by a family with generations of experience building and repairing boats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Indiantown,fl has a do it yourself yard east of Lake Okeechobee. Also west of the lake is Glade boat storage & it is a diy yard.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good luck with Green Cove Springs. They have a 'good ol' boy' system--if they don't know you, you can expect a call from them sometime after Hades freezes over.

Personally, I'd stay away from Ron Holland's place. (Don't bother asking why...I don't wanta be sued.)

You didn't mention how big a boat. If it's smaller, you can go further up the river to Palatka. If it's a big boat, the Shand's bridge will stop you cold. Low clearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fort Pierce,Fl

Riverside Marina Fort Pierce,Florida
It's a working yard to do what ever you want to do,my was on the hard nov,Dec,Jan 2008.
It may not look nice but I had no security problems at all,people live on their
boats on the hard while working on them,$3.50 a month working yard price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts