SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like the added weight that the sunbrella adds to sail. I've seen a few jib covers around and they look nice, but wondering how easy the are to manage?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
You shouldn't leave a sail on a furler without a cover. The sun will damage it and greatly reduce the life of the sail. Sunbrella is the most common material, but others are used. Some are lighter, but may require replacement more frequently.

·
Registered
Tanzer 29
42 Posts
I just got the sun cover on my furling genoa replaced with light dacron. It's always a trade-off, right? Sunbrella would have lasted a couple more seasons but is a heavier fabric. Dacron doesn't last as long but is lighter.

Alternately, you can get a headsail sock. Not as convenient but just as protective (maybe more?) and adds no weight to your leech & foot.

·
Barquito
3,566 Posts
I think there are dacron strips that have adhesive backing. I'm not too familiar with this solution, if anyone has opinions.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sailmakers can make the UV guard out of sunbrella, or justca sacrificial strip of dacron sail cloth. I had my sail done in white so it doesn't look like uv guard.

If you want it to be light, and match the colour of your canvas, they can use the same colored sticky-back dacron they use for sail numbers, but it doesn't last as long or have as many colour options as Sunbrella.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 160 has no UV guard (since I use in lighter air i dont want the extra weight as you say). I do have a cover (sock?) for it. It has a zipper and I raise it with the spinnaker halyard. I really dont like it, it's noisy when the winds comes up (flaps a bit) . I've gotten in the habit of dropping that sail and just don't leave it on the furler.

but as others have said, maybe lighter UV guard material would be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have an ATN genoa sleeve for a laminate headsail uses a zipper and laces to tighten and prevent slapping in high winds. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to raise or remove, it was necessary to resew some areas where the thread rotted after 7-8 years of year round use.
When younger I much preferred a cover over sunbrella sunband, as a lazy old coot I just ordered a new Dacron genny with sunband.
Genoa Sleeve | ATN Sailing Equipment

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
We now have an ATN jib cover too. It does take time to set up and to take down, but the ATN anti-flapping lines seem to work better than those of other designs. The zippered cover also seems to keep the wind from pulling at the leech, which it would do if the sail was simply left furled, uncovered. We had UV scrims on our earlier sails that seemed OK, but the sails didn't seem to last as long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've crewed on a race boat (j/105) that had a separate "jib snorkel" instead of a UV strip on the jib. It was pretty quick to go on an off, but you need another halyard.

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
We're not seeking high performance from our boat, just an easy 7 to 9 knots, but as the average wind here is around 22 in the season a heavy cover is of no consequence. But, longevity of a $3500.00 sail is.

Reactions: tempest

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,112 Posts
Our sail maker uses a white dacron self-adhesive material, which is light and not to noticeable. I like it a lot more than the Sunbella used in the past.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Barquito
3,566 Posts
So, if the sticky dacron material starts to break down, can if be ripped off and replaced?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I think recongnizing when that lite protective cover is lacking in protection is the key
Neglect, procrastination, simply not knowing
Any thread used should also be a consideration

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't like the added weight that the sunbrella adds to sail. I've seen a few jib covers around and they look nice, but wondering how easy the are to manage?
A removable cover is much better and it isn't difficult to use it if well made and if you have a spare halyard for it.
However, I would suggest to look at an article in Practical Sailor magazine (I think it was a year ago) where they tested painting along the luff and foot, just like sunbrella, with very good results.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
So, if the sticky dacron material starts to break down, can if be ripped off and replaced?
I've used the sticky dacron sail repair material, and that stuff sticks like crazy. I doubt you could remove that stuff without damaging the sail material underneath.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts