Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting a small marine canvas business to help fund my Great Loop trip and plan on mostly making small Sunbrella accessories like tiller covers, winch covers, propane bags, sheet bags, fender covers, etc.

If you could please take a moment to reply to this poll, I would really appreciate knowing what color Sunbrella is in use on your sailboat. Most everyone has at least a main sail cover (and most of them are, by far, in Pacific Blue) and many of you also have UV covers for roller-furled headsails and some other accessory done up in some color of Sunbrella.

I've attached a graphic that you can open to see what are likely the Top 10 most popular colors?If you can't reply to the poll becasue your color is not shown, maybe you can look at the colors here and post a reply with the name of your color: Other SunbrellaColors

Thanks.

Murph'

SV Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I actually have Sunbrella "Captain Navy"

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The boat I bought this fall didn't come with any covers. I'm planning on getting a sail cover and a jib bag and I have to decide on a color. I think yellow would look very cheery and bright, yet you never see it used. Is there a reason yellow is a bad choice?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
For me I like Navy . I have used it twice, first 20yrs. ago and 1yr ago. One of the reasons I like it is because when it fades it still looks ok . Colors that do not fade well are red and green and yellow of coarse this is just my opinion .

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Yellow looks great for a couple of years, then it shows a lot of dirt and kind of browns as it fades.

My boat also uses Captain Navy for canvas. Based on walking around my marina this appears to be the second most popular color after Pacific Blue. There is also a dark green (if you look closely it is woven with brown) called Ivy that is quite nice and pretty common.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a nice combo! With all the beautiful colors out there, it is truly a shame that Pacific Blue seems to be som dominant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a great looking Westsail! I agree that Navy seems to fade less than many other colors. While it is actually kind of counterintuitive, it seems that darker colors are affected less by UV rays than the lighter ones. I've had many other canvas shops tell me that they use White thread in most projects due to customer requess, but find that black thread stands up to UC damage longer.

Murph'

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yellow looks great for a couple of years, then it shows a lot of dirt and kind of browns as it fades.
Thanks, that's good to know.

How does Sunbrella hold up to a trip through a washing machine? I have a small boat, so the covers won't be that big. It obviously wouldn't help with the fading, but it might get some of the dirt and grime out?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The boat I bought this fall didn't come with any covers. I'm planning on getting a sail cover and a jib bag and I have to decide on a color. I think yellow would look very cheery and bright, yet you never see it used. Is there a reason yellow is a bad choice?
Yellow isn't a bad choice, but sometimes doesn't hold up to UV rays as well as other colors. The reaction to colors in fabrics or paints is complex: Sometimes the lighter colors are damaged more by UV rays than darker ones.

If you decide to go with a yellow, this Buttercup seems to be the most popular.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks, that's good to know.

How does Sunbrella hold up to a trip through a washing machine? I have a small boat, so the covers won't be that big. It obviously wouldn't help with the fading, but it might get some of the dirt and grime out?
Here is what Glen Raven (Sunbrella Manufacturer) says about cleaning and care for Marine Sunbrella.

Please note that, if you put it in the washing machine, you will likely need to treat with "303" to ensure that most water repellancy is still present. Cleaning on the boat as it gets dirty is much better than the (more aggressive) machine washing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Here is what Glen Raven (Sunbrella Manufacturer) says about cleaning and care for Marine Sunbrella.
Thanks for the link!

This sounds doable:

If a boat cover is suitable in size for a washing machine, these steps should be followed:

• Use mild soap.
• For heavier stains add 1 cup of bleach to wash.
• Wash and rinse in cold water.
• Air dry. Never apply heat to Sunbrella.
• Re-treatment for water and stain resistance will be necessary after machine washing.

As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use.

·
599 Posts
What a great looking Westsail! I agree that Navy seems to fade less than many other colors. While it is actually kind of counterintuitive, it seems that darker colors are affected less by UV rays than the lighter ones. I've had many other canvas shops tell me that they use White thread in most projects due to customer requess, but find that black thread stands up to UV damage longer.
Murph'
Second the comment on the Westsail!

Also, agreed it is counter-intuitive, but correct that lighter colors fare less well. In fact I am switching to black thread for much of my sewing, as the white thread seems to last a fraction of the time. Initially I was skeptical about this, but not now.

How does Sunbrella hold up to a trip through a washing machine?
Personally I would never put Sunbrella in a washing machine. I shudder at the thought. I wash all materials down regularly with fresh water; For deeper cleaning, I use use a gentle cleaner such as Woolite, diluted, or handwash, with a soft brush. Rinse then air dry.

Wait a mo', what does Sunbrella say?
Sunbrella Marine Tops and Covers

...And remember that darned expensive 303 stuff does work to extend Sunbrella life.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 53 Posts