SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little test that I found amusing. A contractor that shall, in this thread, remain unnamed, worked on my boat. The part of the job pictured here was done in one day.

Boat bow is facing exactly North-West (315 degrees true) and is located at about 39N lattitude. The inverted "swan neck" tube in the middle points to the stern with it's open end. First picture is taken when the job started, second when it was finished.

Can you determine how much time passed between these photos? This is also a good excercise for those celestial navigation skills.

Begin.

End.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm seeing that they started at 3ish in the after noon and finished in less than two hours? Roughly?

(let me know if I am close or right in PM! Save it for the others to answer too!)

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the true answer (except for my own estimate). As you may have guessed, contractor claims a number that is somewhat different :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Can you determine how much time passed between these photos?
I would have answered "3 hours". First shot taken roughly at noon, second at 3pm-ish.

??

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Keep'em coming. I will post the number of hours he charged me for later in the evening. (It ain't that funny when you have to pay for it, but hey - gotta find entertainment everywhere)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
My guess is that he started around noon, since the shadow is pointed almost due north, and ended about three hours later, with the shadow pointed northeast. :)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
The sun "moves" 15 degrees per hour, the shadow has shifted maybe 45 degrees max, so let's say he billed you for nearly three hours. Or, was it an overnight job?<G>

What I'd like to know is where you got the power pack for the little Preval sprayer. I bought one at HD once upon a time, and now they don't remember ever selling them. Handy little gizmo though!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
What time of year was it? Was it recent?

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Not sure about the time but in his/her defence it doesn''t look like the pic was taken before he/she started (some prep done), nor does it look like he/she was totally done when the last pic was taken (cleanup).

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
HS—

Jamestown Distributors has Preval sprayers.. I got a few earlier this year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
2.5 'picture hours' X 2 'what it felt like hours' = 5 'chargeable hrs.' X actual rate per hour = way too much contractor hours! Is that 'bout right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
brak
who took the pictures? If you were there taking the pix then you obviously know how long it took. If this is a time lapse setup then the interval the camera was set for will tell you exactly how long it took.
En-LIGHT-en me please

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The contractor himself took the pictures, and he seems to always edit his photos to reduce the size and remove EXIF data, so there are no timestamps. This is how I started to play the celestial charade game :)

To the best of my understanding, there was no cleanup after the last one (not on that day, though there was clean up the next day). There was no preparation before the first one (all the work prior to the first one was done earlier) though he did roll back the tarp and brought his tools up.

The picture is taken this month, just a week or two ago.

My own estimate was noon to about 3 - 4pm. At 5pm sun is very low there, and there won't be much shade from the swan neck fitting (plus after 5pm it will begin to be blocked by neighboring boats).

He claimed 9 hours, but because this was to repair some less than stellar work done previously, he "only" charged me for half of that - 4.5 :) (Which is how I know I am about right).

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Must of been using a tooth brush and a business card to do the clean up with..... instead of a shop vac. :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts