SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any good lakes within an hour of Philadelphia to dry moor a Sunfish for the season? I tried for a spot this past Saturday at a lake that is not too far from me (which I have sailed on in past seasons) but they only had a handful of mooring spots and I wasn't able to get one. :( So disappointing! My only other option is to trailer to/from the lakes and I was hoping to avoid that this year.

Thanks!

Monkey7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jimgo,

Thanks for the reply. That's where I was early Saturday but there were 60 other people in front of me trying to get spots as well. They only at 39 available. Any other advice?

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I had a similar experience there last year. I wanted to get there this year, but issues with the Allmand kept that from happening. Peace Valley is the closest to me that I know of, though there are Marsh Creek, Robert Struble, and of course Nockamixon if you want to stay in PA. In NJ, there's Cooper River Lake and Newton Lake. I've been curious to see Van Sciver Lake, too.

Where are you located? I'm near Lansdale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in NW Philly just south of you. I'll give Marsh creek a shot to see if they have anything left. If you ever need crew, let me know. I'm always up for sailing. I passed ASA101 last October and am taking ASA103 in June.

Is there a Philly sailing community that holds meetings? I haven't been able to find any.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts

Is there a Philly sailing community that holds meetings? I haven't been able to find any.
Try Philadelphia Sailing Club. I'm not a member but I met some and heard about the club when one of their boats stopped at our fuel dock.

Seems like a very active club.

Reactions: Monkey7

·
Registered
105 Posts
It might be stretching your 1 hour limit but Union Lake in Millville NJ is a state owned 1,000 acre lake with an active sailing club. Use to have lots of Sunfish, you might want to check into it.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Nockamixon used to have mutli-year waiting lists for wet slips, and 1-2 years for dry slips... a Sunfish is pretty small they might be able to find a home for it if you beg/plead correctly... that's about 1 hour from Philly. Nice lake too, it's less nice now that they allow more HP motors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might consider Cooper River Yacht Club in Collingswood, NJ. They have an active Sunfish Community.
450 South Park Drive, Collingswood, NJ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Cooper River Yacht Club is only about 35 minutes from me so this might be a good fit. I just sent them an email.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My office is in Haddonfield, NJ, but we boat in Ventnor, NJ.

I am going to the Camden County Boat House this afternoon to pickup some rental equipment. If you need any information or literature, let me know and I can pick it up for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts