SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a relatively new sailor, I've been out a few times on Sunfish by myself and, 420s/Flying Scots with someone more experienced to keep me out of trouble. I'm looking for my first boat, right now I have leads on:

1977 AMF Sunfish without Trailer for $200 that due to age will need new lines and probably a new sail soon as well but is otherwise in decent shape

Force 5 with galvanized trailer and supposedly ready to sail for $550.

As a beginner I really enjoyed the simplicity of the Sunfish but as I learn more about sailing I may like the greater flexibility and space of the Force 5. I don't plan on doing much if any racing but it may be an option in the future.

Does anyone have any advice on which boat would be better to learn on but will still offer long term enjoyment? Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Personally I would go for the Force 5 it does not look much more complicated than the sunfish and is larger. It still has only 1 sail and looks like it can be rigged in minutes, I would bet that the price and time spent on the small fixes for the sunfish would be more than the price of the force. Just my $.02.

·
SSQ74
41 Posts
Welcome to the craft...I agree with mrwuffles both boats are GREAT beginner boats, (I started on a Sailfish) pick the one that gets you on the water within your budget safely...rerigging, sails etc will easliy consume the 350 price difference...

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it matters....the Sunfish is more forgiving in heavier winds. You can also adjust the gooseneck and the point of halyard attachment to give more room "on deck."

It's also easier to find parts for a Sunfish - many more of them around.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Get the Sunfish. I got all of my basics including my lifelong passion for sailing in one. After you learn the basics you will find that you will outgrow it. Then you can take the next step up into a CL14, CL16, Albacore or such. This is also the first steps in spending the rest of your life constantly looking or thinking about the next boat!! :D

The limits in a Sunfish are much lower than alot of boats. Great fun but you will be limited. A bigger boat allows for passengers, going camping and other fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts