SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it hard to find safe anchorages near good surf spots, but ive been composing a guide for spots. Post here if you have any good locations that you can describe. check out my website

www.sail3sheets.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plan on living aboard and surfing while sailing will be a big motive of mine. can you share any experience anchoring near breaks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking to do exactly they same. I know of two couples who are doing similar. Thought the one is more into windsurfing (I am also a windsurfer so would include this in the list of activities whilst sailing), the other is doing it with two children and are currently exploring southern baja. Both of them are doing it from cats so I guess have more options with anchorages. There is also a great movie called 180deg South which documents a surf trip on an old sail boat down to Patagonia.

I've also recently read a review for a book called Swell, which sounds like it could be a good read on the topic.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I found it hard to find safe anchorages near good surf spots, but ive been composing a guide for spots. Post here if you have any good locations that you can describe. check out my website

www.sail3sheets.com
K,look up Red Frog Beach Resort and marina,,I stayed in the villas bout 4yrs ago privately owned rentals,quiet,,lots of younger crowd during the day going to the red frogbeach,,can,t say much enough the marina ( as it was before my bout with cancer,chemo and hospital stays where I began my study of all things sailing to learn something new and live a bit)it was on the calm side of the island(Bastimentos) seemed very safe and must be deep enough as along with some monos,cats and trawlers there was the yacht belonging to the walmart heiress,,,frigging huge..to me ,,cris Columbus apparently used this anchorage awhile, any way this is just across the water from Bocas Del Toros on the isle of Colon(NW Panama) the Caribbean side of isle Colon is some of the best surfing ,I am not a surfer at the time just looking for interesting scuba and downtime,but my son who was there says it's great and the local shops all seemed to be tuned to it,,,lots of turtles too,,,bonus.....anyway google red frog marina,,,,I seriously thought of buying a place there ,,but that was pre..well everything ,,so now it's on the list of places to well park a boat for a bit ,,,oh ya ,,they are out of the Hurricane zone hence the long stringy type coral survive there ,and so would you're boat probAly..........Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts