SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow, this is actually happening. I can't believe the Anal Retentive Engineer has actually decided on a boat. This from the man who rejected literally 38 of the houses I had narrowed down for him as being "insert expletive here". Its bigger than I wanted but he seems sold on it.

The ARE is going to be present at the survey. Wonder if I should warn the surveyor the ARE was a safety inspector for DNV for 10 years? Poor surveyor, I should probably buy him some whiskey for after the survey. I think he will need it.

Fingers crossed...

·
19,489 Posts
Good luck! I'm guessing you'll keep us all posted!

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not going to jinx it just yet.I promise full disclosure once the deal goes through. Getting the ARE to this point is nothing short of a miracle but after going through the home buying process with him 3.5 years ago, I am leary.

I think its gonna be a done deal unless the surveyor finds a major problem the ARE missed or the broker says the wrong thing and ticks off my husband. The ARE is the reason his fellow Scotsmen have a reputation for having short tempers. lol

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good luck Mimsy... :) Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The survey apparently went ok because I just got a call from the husband to get to the marina for the sea trail. Worst case scenario, I get to go sailing for couple of hours. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
:D Keeping the fingers crossed for ya... :)

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a nice little sail and we found a surveyor we feel completely comfortable with. We also found a boat that I am very glad we are walking away from.
Best money we have ever spent was on the surveyor!
Ah well, the hunt continues...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Why are you walking away from the boat if the survey went well??

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The survey went well as in it was thorough. Apparently, the husband was being polite or he just figured since he paid for it all he might as well take me out. lol

Let's see, we knew the whole boat needed rewiring before the survey. We knew the generator was in an awkward position.What we didn't know was that the engine would run hot and smoke, the hull would have impact damage of some sort below the waterline, the keel would be "suspect", the chain plates would be in bad shape, the shroud cracked, leaking port lights, the windlass would be improperly wired rendering it useless, the plumbing needs to be redone because as it is it doesn't work, the main sail ripped, etc, etc.

If we were looking to spend the next two years doingnothing but working on a project boat we might consider it. Trouble is, we want to sail. The only reason we looked at this one was because the husband likes the way it looked at the dock. It does have very, very attractive lines but I would rather go for ugly, sturdy, safe and "fit for purpose".

I've got my choice to go look at today...we have time, lots of time.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good thing you passed on this one... If you haven't read it yet, I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether other boats you look at are even worth going forward on, saving you the price of a survey for boats that aren't worth looking at further.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did read the thread SailingDog. :) Your thread coupled with paying attention to what the surveyor looked at has given me far more confidence in being able to select likely candidates.

No education is ever free...
I really do think the ARE invited me out on the sea trial because he had already spent the money so might as well get to go out sailing lol.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Glad to help..and I don't see why he shouldn't take you out on a sea trial, after all, he has paid for it. :)

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Ok Now that you are not going to buy it what type of boat was it?

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A 44 Morgan. Beautiful lines, bright interior completely jacked up by a combo of the previous owners neglect of routine maintenance and DIY electrical engineering attempts.

The more I look at boats, the more owners tick me off. If you have a beautiful boat, why on earth wouldn't you take care of it?!?! Putting in an expensive generator and ac is nice and all, but how about maintaining your sails and blocks?

I've got my eye on an IP and most surprisngly- a little Bennie. The Bennie has been really well cared for. With the money we will save on a complete refit for the Morgan, we can ship her over to the UK and take the Queen Mary. Does that count as a Trans-Oceanic passage? lol

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Mimsy,
Sorry I've missed your posts until now. We are in the Kemah area as well. It sounds like you found a great surveyor, but if you need another name, I can highly recommend Roy Newberry.

Lot's of great boats in the area right now. I'm sure you will find something perfect. It might be a little small for your needs, but this Baba is right down the dock from me at South Shore, I know she has been well cared for.
1984 Ta Shing Baba 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Nothing for me to disclaim here, I have no financial or other interest in this boat. I just want to see her go to a good home.

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts