SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a bid in on a 1987 Catalina 34 in the Annapolis area and the bid was accepted. I need to find a surveyor. Looking for suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I put a bid in on a 1987 Catalina 34 in the Annapolis area and the bid was accepted. I need to find a surveyor. Looking for suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Congratulations! I know that you've been looking for a C34 for a few years, so this is great news.

Four years ago I talked to a number of people. Who you pick often depends on who is available.

I used Curt Sarratt. He did a good job and spent a lot of time with me to show me around the boat. I'd hire him again.

Leading up to my decision of whom to hire, I had a great phone discussion with Robert Noyce, but he was too busy to get to me on the timeline that I needed.

Robert Skord also interviewed very well, but wasn't taking work at the time because his father had just passed away and he had to focus on settling his estate.

Steve Mason is very highly regarded. I tried to hire him, but he has moved his practice over to insurance claims only. He no longer does pre-purchase surveys. I had an insurance claim last year and the insurance company hired Steve, so I did get to actually work with him (though not under the circumstances I would have chosen). He was fantastic, but like I said, no longer available to purchasers.

There are a couple of other guys that lots of people use, but they are known to be much more introverted and not interested in talking with you to teach you about what they find. They want to show up, get out, and go home to write their report.

Reactions: oldlaxer1

·
11,862 Posts
Steve Mason was our choice also.....and is a family friend but as Rick said I don’t think he does general surveys anymore

Karen Alt I would recommend and have to others. Anchor Marine Surveying .

I have no affiliation with her and Steve is a friend in full disclosure

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I used to have an 87, C34 that ended up in your neck of the woods. Give me some details of the boat...it might be mine.
A suggestion, join the C34 owners website. Great bunch of guys there who can answer just about any question you have on the boat.

My 34 had the Universal M25, that most have. Great engine. Also put in a 16k BTU marine AC unit. Really cooled the boat down.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to have an 87, C34 that ended up in your neck of the woods. Give me some details of the boat...it might be mine.
A suggestion, join the C34 owners website. Great bunch of guys there who can answer just about any question you have on the boat.

My 34 had the Universal M25, that most have. Great engine. Also put in a 16k BTU marine AC unit. Really cooled the boat down.
The boat's name is Ar Didean. Has two AC units, not sure of the size of each. I joined the C34 owners site and have been doing a lot of research there. Spoke to Stu at length about some of the issues on this particular boat. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Survey is on Tuesday. We'll see how she does.
Thanks.

·
11,862 Posts
Congrats and good luck.
Who did you choose to survey

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The boat's name is Ar Didean. Has two AC units, not sure of the size of each. I joined the C34 owners site and have been doing a lot of research there. Spoke to Stu at length about some of the issues on this particular boat. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Survey is on Tuesday. We'll see how she does.
Thanks.
No question...Stu is an excellent resource to have...as well as a number of guys on the forum. They were a great help to me when we were in boat buying mode as well as boat owner mode.

Who did you end up with for survey?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corsica River Marine Surveys
Annapolis, Maryland, USA

Travis L. Palmer, SAMS® AMS®, ABYC
Principal Marine Surveyor
410-739-7097 - Cell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts