SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think the person I used is in business any longer, but some friends of mine used a younger guy who was recommended to them by Bill Algaier at Harbor West Yacht Sales.The Fathom 40 trawler the perfect Great Loop boat see HarborView Yacht Sales now I just called my friends, but they can't remember the name and all their paperwork is on their boat in Florida.

Also there is a great sticky by sailingdog about looking at the boat yourself. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html

Good Luck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Marc Nugent was the surveyor that my buyer used for his purchase survey. I thought that he was very thorough and did not miss anything. Probably the same surveyor that Snowman referencd as Bill was also the selling broker.
Marc's number is 231-649-6776 and he is a accredited surveyor.

·
Registered
Catalina 315
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, my hopes were too high for this boat. Turns out the owner was considerably less than truthful with regard to its condition. Who-da thunk it?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that we have all heard the caution about using a surveyor suggested by the selling broker. This buyer was asking for recommendations from Sailnet and got a couple. He was not asking the selling broker, if there even was one.

The other side of your statement is...where do you find a good surveyor if you don't ask for recommendations? It would seem that brokers would know the market best, and be a resourse for gettting to the surveyors. If you have faith in the broker, and don't assume that all sales people are theives, as some do on this and other boards, then you get recommendations.
Otherwise, look in the yellow pages and stick a pin and take your chances.

In an area such as northern Michigan, where this buyer was looking, the list of surveyors is not long. If you want to pay additional for travel time and expenses you can expand the reach somewhat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, we've all heard it. Tomandchris summed it up nicely. With only about 10 surveyors in our area, the only one's who wouldn't be recommended by a broker are the guys you probably wouldn't want to use. I wouldn't recommend the guy I used, and I doubt the brokers would have either. While my friends, whose purchase had nothing to do with the previously mentioned broker asked him (as personal friends) who he would recommend. They had a far more detailed report, and far more detailed list of how and in what order to tackle the problems and had it in hand in less than 7 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.