SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...does anyone have any recommendations for a surveyor in the Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area? Or anyone to steer clear of? Thanks in advance!

·
62 Posts
This was posted a month ago without a reply. Did you ever find one? Wish I knew one, since I'll be in the market soon myself in Fort Lauderdale (Palm Beach to Miami).

Please post if you found someone.....thx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found one, but was not impressed with the survey, particularly for the price I paid. I received some other names from a source I trust after I had already contracted with this guy. Let me see if I can find those names and I will post them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a couple of names:

Dave Huffman 954 205 3136

Craig Puthoff 305 975 1665

I have used neither so can't vouch for them personally, but I trust the source. Let me know what you think (assuming you use one of them). Thanks!

·
62 Posts
Thanks, I would appreciate the info. Did you end up buying after all that?

Best of luck!

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we are now the proud owners of Bon Dancer, a Pacific Seacraft Dana, hull #87. Unfortunately, she is still in Ft. Lauderdale and we are in KS.

Let me know how your search goes!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
We used Jonathan Howe of Ed Rowe & Associates in Ft. LaDeDa. We've heard of others whom had similar success as well..

·
62 Posts
I've heard of Rowe & assoc through local boating circles. Thank you for the phone numbers and will contact one of them this fall, when we start looking.

Good luck with the boat move - a big expense for sure. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Thanks again!
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're retiring to the gulf coast of FL this fall, so moving the boat should be as simple (?) As taking her across the Okeechobee ditch.

·
62 Posts
Oh okay, thought you're taking the boat up to KC. That makes more sense and will be a much easier move. Congrats on your retirement - I've still got about 12 years of slogging to do! West coast of FL is beautiful. Best of luck, fair winds and happy sailing!

·
62 Posts
On a similar subject. How about brokers that specialize, or at least have good knowledge about sailboat sales and availability. Here in Fort Lauderdale, powerboats rule the waves. Understandably, brokers specialize in the communities needs.

Still, there must be a few persons out there with some expertise!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my boat in St. Petersburg last year and had it surveyed there. The surveyor was excellent. He spent about 9 hours on my Catalina 30. Extremely detailed survey and the same for the report. If I had to survey another boat, I would pay the modest travel expenses to have him come down to South Florida rather than take a chance with someone with anything less than a solid and stellar recommendation. PM me if you want his info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can recommend Paul Anstey for surveys in Florida. He lives mid state but goes everywhere. He is NAMS. He's been doing this longer than just about everyone. Brokers say he kills deals so some won;t recommend him. That's a good thing if you ask me. He kept me from losing $40k.

Paul will climb the mast for a sailboat survey, to inspect the rigging. I have yet to find another surveyor who will do that. The others just say you can hire a rigging surveyor (for another $500).

Paul is extremely knowledgable, very nice, very reasonbly priced, and not afraid to call the boat ugly if he thinks it is.

Don't trust the brokers, even if you like them. They still just want to sell their overpriced boats for as much as they can. Alot of surveyors bow to the brokers' pressure when it comes to not breaking deals. Surveyors can lose business becaue brokers won;t put them on their "recommended list" for the customers too lazy to do their own research. As a buyer, I always want the surveyor that the Brokers don;t like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts