SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Senior Moment Member
13,311 Posts
Reaction score
FWIW the 41 was one of the principal boats that established the Nautor Swan label as being "The Best".

The CT38 was produced around the time that Ta Chiao was improving their rep from being a builder of "Leaky Teakies".

Assuming the teak decks are in comparable condition, I'd take the Swan, no contest. The state of the decks could be a deal breaker though - if they are shot it will be a major job to fix, even just to strip the teak off and paint. To replace the teak will cost as much as the boat these days.

· Senior Moment Member
13,311 Posts
Reaction score
The S&S Swan 41 has the manhole style companionway they were so fond of.

Everything about those S&S boats was biased towards windward work offshore. Cruising comfort was not factored into their design philosophy.

One thing to consider is the Swan is a much bigger boat - about 1/3 larger.

SWAN 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

· Senior Moment Member
13,311 Posts
Reaction score
Was the first CT38 from Bruce's post also Asian build ? Taiwan ? Hong Kong ? I don't know where CT where/are located. It was the first version I was commenting on.

I'd hate to try and crawl under a dodger and down the rabbit hole. Then again I'm old and somewhat croaky.

No dispute from me btw that the Swan would be the better boat performance wise but I was presuming that the OP was after a cruising boat ergo my favouring of the CT.
CT's (Ta Chiao) were all built in Taiwan.

· Senior Moment Member
13,311 Posts
Reaction score
By the specs she'd be a very good ocean sailer - looks like it's basically a detuned IOR racer. Bit light on sail area but that was pretty common on offshore boats back then.

If it's in fundamentally good shape, I'd say do it. It's certainly good looking and I expect it has the usual lush teak interior of all Taiwan boats of that vintage.

Standard things to check on a Taiwan boat of that vintage - chainplates & turnbuckles (for inferior metal), tanks (for inferior metal), wiring (often substandard), deck core if teak overlay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.