71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there there any Swan owners out there who would be interested in the idea
of a technical exchange/advice forum that covers boats by all the designers, IE
S&S, Holland and Frers??

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If you create a Swan owner's forum, you will likely only get Swan owners to respond on it. Despite the nice idea of communicating with fellow Swan owners, the point of forums on the Internet is to communicate with the broadest range of people possible, so as to exchange ideas and learn things. Many people who do not own Swans may be able to lend to the discussion of a topic. By creating a more focused forum, you eliminate their contributions. Sailors are already a minority group. Creating an even smaller topic focus reduces the critical mass needed to keep discussion groups alive. We've all seen forums where the most recent post is three years old. Is that a place you're likely to frequent? Instead of asking for a separate forum, create a thread for Swan owners that can serve as a base for other exchanges and possibly get-togethers. That would be more productive, while at the same time adding to the action on the existing forum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All true of course, but there is one very successful Swan forum however it only deals with S&S designs. Sometime the technical and supply problems are very builder specific and people can waste their time suggesting answers that do not apply. This is not about exclusion its about finding answers efficiently.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Brand specific forums have their place, but I find they are often infrequently visited. You can get a nugget of very specific info, but it may take days. Here someone will probably offer something in minutes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS For those who do not know the swan it's like a Canadian Goose but in White (if you get my drift) Enjoy happy new year to you all may it bring prosperity happyness and goodhealth to you and yours AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

·
19,485 Posts
Are there there any Swan owners out there who would be interested in the idea
of a technical exchange/advice forum that covers boats by all the designers, IE
S&S, Holland and Frers??
James.. a dedicated thread is a good idea, but I think the issue you'll run into (already have, by the look of it ;)) is that you may be one of the only SN contributors who owns a Swan, if there are others they are strictly lurkers by the look of it.

It's odd, in a way, after all plenty were built and they're not particularly rare in North America either..

Reactions: jamesjle

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I would think with the larger Swans at least, like the Wally's and other megabuck boats the owners may just say to the yard "Fix it and send me the bill, I'm sailing on Saturday." People that own boats in the stratospheric price ranges are rarely DIY types, they are better off working at their careers and writing checks. There are exceptions but that may eliminate most of the larger ones, leaving an even smaller group to attract.

Swan currently produces only one small affordable boat, the 53. Not sure what the new price is but there is a used model on Yachtworld (2006) for 1.3 million. They range to 115 feet and I guarantee those owners don't do their own maintenance.

If it is the S&S designs that interest you (to me the nicest Swans of all) there is an association. S&S Swan Association that has a forum as well as a section detailing upgrades with pictures.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would think with the larger Swans at least, like the Wally's and other megabuck boats the owners may just say to the yard "Fix it and send me the bill, I'm sailing on Saturday." People that own boats in the stratospheric price ranges are rarely DIY types, they are better off working at their careers and writing checks. There are exceptions but that may eliminate most of the larger ones, leaving an even smaller group to attract.

Swan currently produces only one small affordable boat, the 53. Not sure what the new price is but there is a used model on Yachtworld (2006) for 1.3 million. They range to 115 feet and I guarantee those owners don't do their own maintenance.

If it is the S&S designs that interest you (to me the nicest Swans of all) there is an association. S&S Swan Association that has a forum as well as a section detailing upgrades with pictures.

You'd be surprised. A lot of Swan owners are very hands on. The S&S Swan owners forum has an active maintenance section. I am up for it but not sure that I am all that great a resource.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree many Swan owners are hands on, particularly the older boats. Unfortunately there are various obstacles to a cohesive exchange of useful information. The S&S Association is very active and seem to be a good operation. However they are not interested in boats designed by Holland or Freres. The Swan Owners Association of the US is just that, really only American owners. I may be wrong about this but that is how it appears.

According to Mateo, the driving force behind the S&S group, Nautor are completely uninterested in the older boats. To get an information forum going you probably would need their co operation to send out a notification that it was being proposed. Very unlikely apparently.

Its a pity because somewhere to exchange views for all would be very useful. It would be possible if you could get the word out there. Any ideas??

·
Registered
195 Posts
When doing research, its important to look at support also. I can get any question answered and there's a wealth of projects and DIY articles on the Catalina 36 forum.

The forums are quite active.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts