SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All things being unequal I found a Yanmar 4jh panel with gauges even comes with the key, original stickers on the tach (27 tooth flywheel). I'm thinking getting this panel would be less labor intensive than getting a panel and building with new gauges which I do know how to
do but, would rather not to a whole lot of physical work that I can get around by using Yanmar for Yanmar

I'm thinking adopting this to my 3gm30 may not be as difficult with this as it would be to hunt for new sensors and all that when I can use or try to use existing Yanmar stuff on my engine and maybe a few more things I would have to purchase?

Share with
Gauge Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Measuring instrument
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk Bag Electrical wiring

me your thoughts! thank you

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
From what I understand, you will have to change the senders if you go to a gauge. You may blow the gauges if you don't.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,130 Posts
You definitely want compatible senders... They usually have one wire for signal and the other is a ground. Panel wiring is neat... can you find a good place for it?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before doing anything check out this site.
Yes I'm fully aware of the cost of these I found this one in a shop I can make it work I just need to make a decision. I would just replace the idiot panel with this panel much as I would like to put it up high somewhere in the boat it would be a lot of work

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
OK. I find a lot of value in doing things once. The Yanmar panel on our big boat was junk and very difficult to maintain.

As to relocating, just an idea. On ou small boat I mounted the panel on an articulated swing arm next to the companionway. I swing it into position so Incan see it when sailing, nice and high, good sight lines. Then I push it back into the corner when not needed.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,130 Posts
You should be able to see the gauges, turn the key and kill the engine without being a contortionist. I've see some engine panels down in the cockpit well... that seems weird. Contest36s has a recessed GRP box recessed into the coaming/seat back on the starboard side. Good location... but not perfect for a helmsman. But it's a good location from a forward perch in the cockpit... which is pretty much were I am positioned. I only drive from the helm when motoring on and off a dock or mooring. Visibility is excellent... but often blocked by a cockpit cushion. All of these things are compromises. I am OK with the location. AP on port, Eng instruments to stbd.

Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

blocked by cushions
Boat Water Vehicle Watercraft Hood

Cloud Sky Vehicle Boat Gesture

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a Yanmar panel which I think is quite a discovery and it's well under $200 compared to The replacements I'll find everywhere else for 500 plus anyway my existing panel is for the contortionist sailor
Jeans Hood Leg Vehicle door Walking shoe

Alternative locations are where the data Marine gauges are even give up that Port window which really serves no purpose but I would have to do something to create it to make a weather and Sun Hood also making it unobtrusive to Crew moving around and unlikely to be damaged from winch and line activity so it looks like a great place for a line of sight but not so good mechanically
Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Completely over to starboard looks like a better place but it means extending all the wiring in the harness which is probably why Hunter did not do that originally even though it's not all that difficult to do.
Water Fluid Vehicle Gas Bathroom

So I don't know none of this is really going to change the value of the boat but I like real gauges instead of idiot lights!

Reactions: SanderO

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Researching the engine diagrams they're virtually the same for the 4jh and 3gms.. keep thinking this is what I need to get because I'm never going to drop $500 to $600 for a new panel!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I often wonder why boat builders didn't put the engine controls right at the steering wheel like they do on power boats it makes sense to me I don't see an overriding reason not to have the engine panel at the helm other than the wiring being too short from the engine harnesses

Reactions: s_ruffner

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My Engine controls are out of the weather, under the hinged helm seat, ( ignition key, start button, glow plug, fuel cut off, alarm.)

The gauges ( tack, hours, oil pressure, amps and temp ) are on the vertical face of the cockpit well, forward, just below the entrance to below deck. I can see them from anywhere in the cockpit, and they don't get blocked like my Wind, speed, and depth meters by passengers. I kind of like that set-up.

With that starboard location, it appears to have enough depth to it, that you could even angle the panel toward you and up a little, rather than face directly into the cockpit if you wanted. Hard to tell from the photos. We know you have fabrication skills.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
I often wonder why boat builders didn't put the engine controls right at the steering wheel like they do on power boats
Often a power boats helm is out of the weather, but you can have them there by adding a nav pod at the helm. Many would find it disturbs visibility. I suppose OEMs figure we're sailing, not motoring, but we all know how often motoring is necessary.

I too substantially prefer gauges to idiot lights. Just yesterday, I was motoring in zero wind and noticed coolant temps were slightly higher and thought that was odd for such cold temperatures this time of year. Sure enough, I found the engine room fan had died, when I arrived on the other side of the Bay. Not close to tripping an idiot light, if that's all I had.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I seem to recall that some chartplotters have a function to display engine data. That would be convenient if it could be made to work.

I often wonder why boat builders didn't put the engine controls right at the steering wheel like they do on power boats it makes sense to me I don't see an overriding reason not to have the engine panel at the helm other than the wiring being too short from the engine harnesses

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,130 Posts
If I could locate the engine instruments, key switch and fuel starve anyplace in my cockpit... and the AP control head... I would put them exactly where they are. I don't see much advantage in placing the right next to the helm...I am rarely there. And it would mean turning my head and looking down. As it is I can just divert my eyes. Stopping the engine is never urgent as the tranny can be put in neutral. Starting would be the same. Other boats and cockpits and sailing/motoring styles might make for a different solution. I have no problem with how this is laid out on my boat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember that the Islander 36 and Ericson 36.5 had the panel located in a position where you had to go out of your way to view. I suppose that this is a good case for the use of audible alarms. The boat's system saying "hey come take a look at me!"

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't done a thing about it! It's on the list of priorities but it's not top of the list

1 - 19 of 19 Posts