SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I´m a Swedish guy who´s planing to buy a sailing boat in San Diego and then sail it down the Mexican coast. Is this a common thing to do and is there a lot of marinas and similar facilities in this area? I´m planing to start the trip in January, is that a good time to start?
I´m grateful for all the help and information you will give me.

Thanks
-Johan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Johan,
Sailing from San Diego to Mexico is a very common thing to do. Normally downwind all the way with several stops about every 150 miles or so. but it is an offshore passage and not harbor hopping. there is a rally at the end of October called the Baja HaHa Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas which is very popular way to get to Cabo. The route to Puerto Vallarta from San Diego usually includes Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan and on in to PV. Here is a good contact I know of for boat searches: Alan - [email protected]

Good luck !

Chris
SailTime Channel Islands

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Is it not possible to do this sailing trip by harbor hopping instead of offshore day-and-night sailings? My plan is to have a relaxed trip with sunny weather and nice sailing, not a hurry to sail as far ass possible!
Since my budget is fairly narrow I´m planing to do this in a small boat, somthing lika a Catalina 27, is that possible?

-Johan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts