SailNet Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Wow Jeff. A harrowing tale indeed. My wife just took her “certification” course, and is now pointing out safety issues on my boat. One of them is figuring out a way to release the boarding ladder from the water. I’ll be taking measurements and buying hardware this month. And I feel your pain about the slip and fall. Two years ago, I was leaving my backyard storage shed, and slipped on the slick and slimy ramp. It was a real Three Stooges kind of slip with my feet completely flying in front of me. I don’t know if the back of my head hit the ramp first, but the result was a concussion. If that had happened in the water, I don’t know if would have had the presence of mind necessary to survive.

And I too have abandoned Sperrys as deck shoes. Even fresh from the store, the soles are too smooth to grip, even on non-skid. I’ve found that the best boat shoes are any sneakers with non marking soles. Sneaks made for indoor basketball are the best, but I’ve just taken to buying the cheapest ones I can find.

·
Registered
24,047 Posts
I too have abandoned Sperrys as deck shoes. Even fresh from the store, the soles are too smooth to grip
Do you mean the current version of the traditional razor siping? They do stink now. Although, Sperry does offer a handmade version of the traditional Sperrys for a few hundred bucks a pair. I wonder if those have the older polymers. Certainly not worth the price of admission.

I think the Sperry BillFish grip is every bit as good as a sneaker, out of the box. It's time is limited, before they harden up though. I burn through them quickly and have to stop the evolution to street shoes. Like in Jeff's case, it's easy to end up with those old relegated street shoes back aboard. I'd always have three generations: current used aboard, worn and relegated to street shoes, one gen behind that used for painting or when shoes really need to be sacrificial. Those latter generations are becoming dangerous now.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Do you mean the current version of the traditional razor siping? They do stink now. Although, Sperry does offer a handmade version of the traditional Sperrys for a few hundred bucks a pair. I wonder if those have the older polymers. Certainly not worth the price of admission.

I think the Sperry BillFish grip is every bit as good as a sneaker, out of the box. It's time is limited, before they harden up though. I burn through them quickly and have to stop the evolution to street shoes. Like in Jeff's case, it's easy to end up with those old relegated street shoes back aboard. I'd always have three generations: current used aboard, worn and relegated to street shoes, one gen behind that used for painting or when shoes really need to be sacrificial. Those latter generations are becoming dangerous now.
yes, I mean the shoes with the traditional razor siping. Last time, I bought two pair: one to wear around, and one to keep on the boat. The boat pair was ok (not great, but ok) out of the box, but lost what little stickiness they had before the end of the first season. I nearly went overboard a couple of weeks ago wearing them, and vowed to find something better. I wore my sneakers to the boat the next time, and was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked as deck shoes. I have been loyal to Sperry, at least partially because I have very wide feet, and they are one of the few manufacturers who make a shoe wide enough for me. I’m in Maine on vacation now, and we stopped at the Sperry outlet store. I was hoping to try the Billfish or one of he other premium models to see if they were any better than the classic Mocs. They didn’t seem so to me. Fortunately, the New Balance outlet was next door, and they had a ton of mesh sneaks in my size with sticky, non-marking soles. So I bought a pair on clearance for my new boat shoes. Forty bucks as opposed to $120 or so for the Sperrys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I take a slip like that I also worry about incorrectly wired or wiring gone bad, stray current shore power, either from the docks or from a nearby boat.

-Doug

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If I take a slip like that I also worry about incorrectly wired or wiring gone bad, stray current shore power, either from the docks or from a nearby boat.

-Doug
That is a very good point. The good news is that this was at my home, so I wasn't worried about that but I have heard of people grabbing a stern ladder and got shocked.

·
Registered
24,047 Posts
I have been loyal to Sperry, at least partially because I have very wide feet, and they are one of the few manufacturers who make a shoe wide enough for me.
Also why I choose the BillFish model, as it’s one of the few, even from Sperry, that come in wide. I buy them on Amazon for $100 even.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In hindsight it is crazy that it never occurred to me to lose the bags, or my boat shoes.
Glad you are ok, obviously could have been much worse. As a SCUBA instructor, I keep up with "incidents" in the industry and you would be shocked to see how many very experienced (and novice) divers drown because they never thought to drop their weights, cameras, spearguns, etc. There is an infamous YouTube video of a Dive Master drowning as his new camera pulled him down over 300 feet, recording his demise.

The only way to help prevent this sort of thing is to practice. As crazy as it sounds, it may be worth all of us taking an "accidental" slip overboard once in a while and practicing self rescue, even as we practice MOB procedures. In diving, we simulate dropping the weights as part of our training to help build muscle memory.

Having spent most of my life in and around boats, I've lost count of the number of slips, trips and tumbles I have endured. Thus far, (knocking on head) knock on wood, I have never taken a serious unexpected swim. Given the nature of my clumsiness, I should heed my own advice here and practice some self rescue techniques!

Thanks for the wake up call, and again, glad it all worked out,

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Also why I choose the BillFish model, as it’s one of the few, even from Sperry, that come in wide. I buy them on Amazon for $100 even.
Depending on your size, amazon has them for $69.00- $77.00 at the moment. They had a good variety of sizes and colors availble, as of this moring. Edit: It seems that price is limited to certain sizes. @ 10 m I could get a deal. ( that's unusal) lol

·
Banned
0 Posts
It's good that you shared your story.
Marina/dockside drownings are not a rarity according to something I'd read in a freebie dockside periodical long ago....along the lines of "I've fallen & I can't get out!!!" All of the people I knew living on their boats in my previous marina wouldn't be able to climb back onto the dock alone if they fell into the water. If that describes you, be advised.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts