SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
JMan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum and can't find anything on converting a boat's electrical system from 220 volts to 110. As I consider purchasing a boat built in Europe its shore power system is European 220 volts. Can that be converted or are all the systems, i.e. battery charger only compatible with 220 volts?
Thanks for any help you can offer,
John

·
Registered
476 Posts
John, it depends on things you have installed on boat. If you're purchasing new, just ask for a 110V system. If it's already built on 220V you should consider many factors. I personally dislike the input transformer (a bulky transformer input 110V - output 220V). Besides the size/weight/etc you never know how many things you'll install in the future, requiring upgrades and lost of investment, and not all systems accept 50HZ vs 60Hz. Look to wich appliances are connected to AC, like freezers, microwave, airconditioning, batt charger, inverter, genset, etc ... some of them would take both 110/220 50/60Hz simply changing a switch, and some are automatic. But majority of heavy load (microwaves/aircon/etc) doesn't have such double power input. Then plan a replacement for others. The more you have installed, the more costly will be your project and certaily will ruin a good deal. Think twice ....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Good advice!

Also, remember that wire size needed to carry 220V is smaller than that required for 110V. In some cases, you could find that the wiring and/or the fittings are undersized for 110VAC service.

For example, we just found that a new high-end Victron MultiPlus inverter/charger -- intended for the 220V European market -- won't really take the AWG6 wire needed for 50amp 110VAC service without some adapting. It's set up for much smaller wire (equivalent of AWG10).

Bill

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I had the same problem, and used adaptors for the outlets. Be cautious in doing this. As mentioned above the wire size difference could lead to a fire. I also used a transformer to change the wiring, but have slowly replaced to the correct wire size.....i2f

1 - 5 of 5 Posts