SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to switch to a three blade fixed prop from a two blade fixed prop for better performance while motoring. My Pacific Seacraft manual recomends a 17 x 10 three blade prop and I believe it is a right (not left) prop.

My questions:

1. Has anyone used a different prop (fixed), diameter or pitch, from the one PSC recommends?

2. Is it a right hand prop? I just want to be sure.

3. Other than MI Wheel, does anyone have recomendations of prop manufactures? I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN FIXED PROPS.

Thanks,

John L.

s/v Redfish
1988 PSC 34 #95

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,100 Posts
You might want to look into the rationale for any performance improvement from a three blade versus a two blade, assuming both are properly sized. If a two blade fits in your setup, simplying switching to a three will not have any particular benefit other than reducing your boat cash stadh.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My spare prop is marked AUSTRA 17R. My Yamnar Operation Manual in the specifications says, "Direction of rotation, Propeller shaft (Ahead), Clockwise viewed from the stern".

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
PCS34118G888

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with Sailingfool. I ran a two blade on Asylum the whole time I owned her and compared results with folks with 3 blade props. I got all of the performance I needed from 2 blades. It seems that there would have been marginal improvement in performance under power in reverse, but that was never a big issue. With a two blade the boat would drive to hull speed and power through any weather. If you felt you needed a folding prop I could understand, although i was always a proponent of fixed blades and no moving parts.
Larry

·
Registered
52 Posts
When we purchased our PSC 34 a couple of years ago, it was equipped with a 3 blade Maxprop and we had a spare 17 x 10 RH 3 blade fixed prop. The Maxprop was set to 17 x 10 and we were not able to get the proper RPM's from our Yanmar, and we had a problem with overheating.
Last spring we reset the Maxprop to an 8 inch pitch and the RPM's are now good and no more overheating.
I can't tell you how the fixed 3 blade 17 x 10 prop will work for you, but the Maxprop set to 17 x 10 was too much pitch.
Steve S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve, I don't have enough posts to send you a PM. Would you be interested in selling your old fixed 3 blade 17x10 prop? I am in desperate need of one.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I repowered NiftyNickers (Beta 37 1/2 hp) I also switched to a 3 blade Sailor Prop from Campbell.Its a bit strange looking shape wise but it does put the power into pushing the boat and doesnt affect sailing at all.I know that it delivers more thrust than the 2 blade by the way the boat blasts thru headseas and she sails as fast as ever.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts