SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all the confusion of dressing the mast and trying to get out of Savannah after our brief refit, I attached a block to the tang for the staysail halyard that I was not sure belonged. The block is a single Shaefer Marine (7 series I think) that does not swivel on the tang. The tang itself is welded to the mast. The halyard moves freely up and down and in line with the stay. I just wonder if it would be better to have the block swivel to reduce stress on the tang and the mast. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Our staysail halyard is internal. It simply exits the mast over a sheave set into the slot in the mast below the staysail stay tang. There is no external block hung from the hole in the tang.

The rigging guide for the PSC 31 shows an external staysail halyard and identifies the block as a Schaefer 07-05 block hung from a D-shackle.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 31
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know that the block needs to swivel when used as the staysail halyard, but we use it also for the whisker pole topping lift. When used in that capacity, it needs to swivel.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that reply David...I am going to change it out...I forgot about the topping lift use. My wife and I are shaking out the kinks caused by buying our boat and taking it directly to the yard. Seems, like all my projects, that I have a few extra parts left over...I know they belong somewhere, just need to figure out where.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts