SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning my research into these products and am curious if anyone is familiar with them. I like Plasteak and the vinyl interior flooring, but the sheet is 6' wide X however many feet in length you need. I don't need 6' wide and it is very expensive. I'm planning to do the floor of my '77 Catalina 27' and right now the cost of this is about $500....for vinyl flooring. That's crazy.

Does anyone know of alternatives or can provide any user reviews?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
994 Posts
There is this stuff called wood. It looks like some vinyls but it's made of an organic material that actually grows in people's backyards. There is a form of it that is comprised of several thin layers that are glued together with resorcinol glue between each ply. This form of wood is usually called 'marine plywood' (marine because the resorcinol glue is waterproof - and plywood because of the plies in it).

You can buy marine plywood that has a top layer with alternating strips of teak and holly woods. There are quite a few boats that have this on their "floors" (which are also known as 'soles'). In order to prevent the wood from getting waterlogged and ruined, the plywood is usually covered with several coats of sealant.

Some people use a sealing product called "Ultimate Sole" and are very happy with it. Others use a product called "epoxy" and they are very hpappy with their choice as well. Still others use something called "Urethane" and they are also - you guessed it - very happy with their choice.

For 500 dollars you could buy enough of this marine plywood stuff to do the 'floor' of your boat three or four times. This is one place to get it:

Products we Sell

Good Luck - hope everything works out well ! :)

·
Salty
106 Posts
Chris

Where are you located? I have been looking at the same product for my Watkins 27 and found I also dont need the entire 6' width. If you're close enough, maybe we could split a roll and reduce our costs. I need 39" x 126" to cover my sole. If you can get away with 33" in width, maybe this could be a good deal.....

MSter
1981 Watkins 27

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Atlanta. This may not be a bad idea, but I still need to measure. I was thinking if nothing else I would order half the lenght I need and use the cut section as the second piece, but I'm not sure how well a splice would look. If I'm going to spend this much on vinyl it better look good.

Send me a PM so I have your contact info. I will be measuring my boat this week.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts