SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching the available choices of LPU paint, I don't see much mention of System Three WR-LPU. Does anyone here have any experience with this? If not, opinions (unfounded or otherwise :laugher ) are welcome.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used System Three's LPU this past spring to paint my Alberg 30.

Picasa Web Albums - Jeff Fongemie - painting
Picasa Web Albums - Jeff Fongemie - putting stuff...

While I don't have any experience with any of the other LPU's, I can say I'm happy with it. I researched the heck out of these paints. System Three's paint was attractive to me since it didn't require a bunch of specialty thinners, can be rolled-tipped, low voc's and easy clean up.

I bought a quart to experiment with. I painted a few small things, some scrap wood ect. Like any LPU from what I've read, there's a small learning curve to putting this stuff on. I had never rolled-tipped so the practice was welcome. After letting the scrap samples cure a month, I experimented with the paint trying to lift it, scratch it, abrade it and otherwise damage it. I was satisfied enough to go with it.

Tons of prep, we primed with System Three's epoxy primer (get the new formula) and went for it. I had my wife as the tipper, I rolled. Temperature was key. I found the paint was happiest at cool temperatures (70's). When the air warmed up to the 80's under the tarp the paint dried much to fast with little time to tip and flow out. We'd do a coat in the morning and another in the afternoon. I'm very happy with the results.

Is it durable? Well, my boat never made it into the water this past sumer so it never got any real world testing. However I've been working on the boat continuously since the paint job, careful as I am, the paint has been bumped with tools, screwdrivers slipping, parts piled on it with no problems. It appears to be far more durable than the Interlux enamel I used on the cabin interior.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Mainsail..

Gosh I hope so. I still have some interior projects, but now I'm just aiming to get the major things finished. I'm hoping to launch sometime in May.

We've committed to a mooring in Boothbay. I'd love to have you aboard this season. If I see you at the Maine Boatbuilders Show I'll be sure to say hello.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the post with real world experience. It certainly seems like an easy (for an LPU) system to use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts