SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Nexus 1000 instrumentation system on my boat and love it. I added a Comnav autopilot a few years back and it interfaces perfectly with the Nexus. (Comnav is now the go to place for the newer version of Nexus which is NX2). I upgraded my chart plotter this past summer with a Lowrance Globalmap 7200 which demands it's own GPS and works on the NMEA 2000 standard.

My question is do any of you have any experience with interfacing a Lowrance with older electronics that use the NMEA 0183 communications? If so can you help?

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autopilot interface

The old Nexus 1000 monochrome chart plotter allowed me to "Go to waypoint" with the autopilot. The rest of the autopilot system functions allow me to "Hold a wind point", "Hold a heading" as well as "Power steer".

So I'm trying to get the new chart plotter to "Go to waypoint" as well as not loosing the other functions.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have a Lowrance 3500c and most things are the same as the 7200

You have to use the menus on the 7200 to enable the function of the com ports in,out,baud rate ect its on page 76 off the current manual , it is a pretty crappy manual :rolleyes:

The Lowrance has a go to waypoint like any unit and i cant see any reason it would not supply data to a autopilot BUT how did the wind instrument interface with the old unit

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
method of interface

Thanks, I think I can probably make it work. You're right the manual is very crappy.

All of the transducers feed into a central server that then feeds the instruments including the auto pilot. Before I added the new chart plotter I was using an external Garmin GPS. Now I suppose the Lowrance GPS will take over that function.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Dwayne-

Don't forget to set the baud rate and data settings to 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit...or 4800, 8, N, 1 in geek speak.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks a bunch! Now if it'd just warm up and stop snowing long enough for a test sail! Currently 15 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it to work

I finally got a response from Lowrance on how to connect the GlobalMap to the Nexus system and it now works! The secret that I wouldn't never guessed was to use one of the NEMA output leads from the GlobalMap as the input to the Nexus NEMA port AND to connect the shield wire to the return post on the Nexus. As soon as I did that it fired up as it should have and the autopilot recognized that it had waypoint data to go to.

:):):):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Glad you got it working! I have a nexus classic system (with server) that I just added a compass transducer to. I'll be interfacing a Garmin GPS unit this week and a wind transducer next week. I'll remember your post when I do that!

No auto pilot here though, so at least I don't need to worry about getting that to work.

How do you like your Nexus system? Which transducers do you have?

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the full meal deal. Wind, depth, speed, and compass (45 degree) and even an old MultiCenter chart plotter which now is my backup for the new Lowrance. I also have the Multi XL and Wind readouts. I love the system overall and for the money I put in it, it has been a great investment.

If I can help with your installation please let me know (PM me if you like).

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have the full meal deal. Wind, depth, speed, and compass (45 degree) and even an old MultiCenter chart plotter which now is my backup for the new Lowrance. I also have the Multi XL and Wind readouts. I love the system overall and for the money I put in it, it has been a great investment.

If I can help with your installation please let me know (PM me if you like).
Thanks very much! So far the install is going well. The HPC compass got mounted 4 degrees off vertical, so the system thinks there is a 4 degree heal to starboard. The classic multi can't correct that, but I think the wind data instrument can. If not, I'll just remount the compass.

I was told that the Nexus stuff was a "budget" alternative to other racing instrumentation, but it's not cheap. Tack Tick and others are less expensive, although I don't know if they have the same capability.

I am thinking of adding the trim speed indicator and the steer pilot indicator, although without the FDX server the steer pilot is a bit limited. Then there is the compass data indicator and the depth display. These are all the analog ones. I may not do the last two because the take up a good bit of space and don't tell me much that I can't see elsewhere.

It's been a lot of fun for me, since I like gadgets and computers.

If you have the Multi XL and the Wind Data, how do you control the system? Does the chart display do that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts