SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tartan 30 C and as I work through all the projects on the boat to bring her up to waht she should be, one that I want to schedule is pulling the mast to inspect the step and redo the mast cosmetically. The aluminum is really dull/gray. It is a little rough, some minor surface corrosion. What to do? Can it be buffed with rotary wire brush or should I look at primer and awlgrip.
Any ideas how to smooth the inside of the sail slot? The slides work but it is ough enough that the mail has to be pulled down. Is there a way shine it up. Anyone ever do that?
I welcome your comments.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Unfortunately, options are limited. Most likely the mast was anodized from the factory, and getting that redone is going to be a tall order.

The next best thing is going to be painting the mast. This means stripping all of the stainless hardware off the mast. Removing the base and the head. Then sandblasting the mast (do the boom at the same time), priming, painting with a 2 part epoxy paint such as Awlgrip or Perfection. This should leave the mast in good condition, with the aluminum protected and the slot clean.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts