SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Beta 20 has no tach. I'd like to know just WTH the engine/shaft speed is to find the proper pitch and idle/running speed. After perusing ads and checking sources for. a couplenyears, . believed I'd found a good match; but with a price I'd be loath to pay for diagnostics. The "AutoMeter, strap on the alternator tach runs to$150 now.. Reading the fine print, it seems yahaft a havea hand-held tach to set./regulate it.!
Now, look those up and find varying models from $14..95 to $29.95; prettymuch allthe same w/diff labels..
I saw a ref to Harbor Freight tach and went there.. Loand behold;a photo sensor digital hand-held! While near double tthe E-bay listinngs, it happened to be in stockand returnable. Only one negative review, so I dropped by The localHF an grabbed one up. $39plus the. gov. fees..

Item # 66632.. Comes with batt. & fold-over (useless) inst. manual. Dead simple to use! Put reflective tape on shaft/wheel/pulley and point-and-click.. Read large digits. Done! :D Only minor gripe is it doesn't have a. reset-to-zero; but doesseem to do so after a few. moments wait? Otherwise,it re-reads revs an. adds themto the last set of numbers.

Now I have idle cold and warm numbers, WOT/neutral and idle at load figures. I also checked the. two "spots" the engine likes to siut and recordedthem :D

Might. be kinda.tough to record while under way ; but now that a. baseline has been established, I have a good idea of engine performance to deal with prop issues.

THere may be some issues with HF/Chinese tools; but for the $$, I'mhappy :) 'Sides; if it gives out (soon), I'llreturn it ;)
So..if ya need. a quick check of speed of anything spinning......

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I looked at the Tiny-Tach last year. Seems there were a lot more issues/bad reviews than good. Most dealt with damp/wet and display damage; some with calibration..still need a comparator! ;) I would suspect that mounting in the cabin would alleviate ; but then what goodwould that do at the conn? About the same $$ as what I spent. At least I could use mine for other reciprocating/rotating/ movement. checks. lol

I'd be interested to read a report of actual useage aboard.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had a Tiny-Tach on my YSB12 1-banger for 2 years or so. Original sender did not accurately read RPM, factory happily sent another, which has worked 100% for 2 years, except for the Hobbs Meter function.
It reads the flex in the steel injection line for data!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently the stock Kubota/Hitachi(?) 40A alt on it. No third wire to hook to :( *IF* I ever swap out for higher output, I'll get one that will run a tach.

IIRC, the TT uses electric impulses to the injector to signal the unit?? The H/H unit, while not as permanent, is the same $$ and useful in other ways. I can sticky the prop shaft for revs, check timing on the truck or even (prolly) set it up to count the amount of rocking at the dock per minute ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts