SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Helms 24 in the water today and we started rigging the sails. Does anyone know how the tack is supposed to connect to the boom? I have attached a picture and the previous owner had a shackle in the lower grommet. But I don't see what it would attach too. Anyone have a picture or good description of what I should do here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will see if I can find it in the bin of odds and ends I have from the previous owner.

Corbett

·
Registered
894 Posts
Run the shackle thru the reef hook or just do away with the shackle and run the reef hook through the grommet in the sail.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
While you're looking in your odds and end bin, See if there's a stop for the mast track, to prevent the sail slides, or slugs, from coming out. Though, It does look like there may be a gate there, I just can't tell for sure from the photo

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Run the shackle thru the reef hook or just do away with the shackle and run the reef hook through the grommet in the sail.
I think this is what I am going to do right now. I was never able to find anything in my odds and ends that would work, so the reef hook seems to be the easiest.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While you're looking in your odds and end bin, See if there's a stop for the mast track, to prevent the sail slides, or slugs, from coming out. Though, It does look like there may be a gate there, I just can't tell for sure from the photo
There is a stop for the mast. You can't see it in the picture, but you loosen the screw and it slides over to block the slugs from coming out. I just need to rememebr to do that next week when I go back down to the boat....

·
Freedom isn't free
3,129 Posts
Use the reef hook as was said, and you may want to rig a cunningham to tension the luff anyway. Raise to maximum hoist (vang/sheet off), then tension cunningham, then sheet/vang as needed. Looks like the sail is setup for it.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use the reef hook as was said, and you may want to rig a cunningham to tension the luff anyway. Raise to maximum hoist (vang/sheet off), then tension cunningham, then sheet/vang as needed. Looks like the sail is setup for it.
I am assuming that the grommet with the rope through it would be used for the Cunningham, but I don't much experience with that. I will have to do a little more research. From what I have read, it would be nice to have the control of the Cunningham.

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replace the bolt that holds the boom to the bracket with an eye bolt
This is a great idea! I am going to try this first and see how it does. If it does not work, then I will give RigRite a call and see if they can make the correct bracket for me. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone!

·
Registered
1982 Helms 24
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@SHNOOL Do you know why the rope is through the grommet for the cunningham? Is that supposed to be some sort of soft shackle? Is that the preferred method for connection a cunningham?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts