SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old soul
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an older Tacktick Micronet system that has worked really well, up till now. The wind direction indicator is now stuck in one direction. It is showing a direction, but it never changes. The masthead pointer is spinning, so it's not a mechanical problem. The wind speed portion (the cups) is still working, although it does get stuck -- mechanical problem no doubt.

Any ideas?
- Faulty transmitter at masthead? The windspeed system is working fine. I suppose they are different sensors up there. Maybe direction is screwed somehow.
- Faulty cockpit display? Again, windspeed is working, and it is displaying a direction, just the wrong one (never changes).
- Hull transmitter problem?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd check with RayMarine. Sounds like the transmitter is bad. I had the opposite situation - direction worked fine, speed was erratic. Luckily it was under warranty or it would have been a $200 bill.

·
Old soul
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to go up the mast to check it out. I'm hoping some sort of dirt/gunk/bird-poop issue is the problem. It have some hope since it appears data is being transmitted from the directional sensor, otherwise I assume it would show nothing at all.

Interestingly yesterday when I was at the boat we had pretty light airs (<10kn). I flipped on the tacktick display and got speed, but the direction was stuck at one location as usual these days: around 175. However, as I watched the direction indicator rotated around 180 degrees and stayed there (around 5) for a few minutes before jumping back to 175. It did this a few times.

Does this suggest anything to anyone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts