SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Frank Lloyd Wright was once asked about why he designed such clunky chairs. Take a look, they ALL have heavy cross-bars down low on the legs. He said, that's to that you can lean back in the chair, or put your coat on the back of it, and it won't fall over. If a chair falls over when you tilt it back--that's a bad chair, because people are just going to do that.

I'd suggest similar thoughts for a cabin sole. People wear shoes. Deal with it. If your floor can't deal with shoes? There's something wrong with the floor, don't bother everyone who comes aboard 'cause you're too bent to fix your floor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I really don't think it is a major request to be asked to take shoes off when doing work. And any real professional would have booties to slip over shoes anyway.
not if you're the only game town, that's apparently proven
This probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case...

Being the only game in town doesn't make you a professional... it just makes you the only game in town.

Barry

Reactions: Dutch and rugosa

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
After lost nails,broken toes and slips I have two sets of shoes. One for on deck and one for shore. I have a small,rug out on the dock( if we are on a dock), another in the cockpit it front of the companion way and a third on the sole in front of last step.
Still most of the time crew and I are barefoot. Hence all the rugs and request folks wipe their feet when getting on boat or going below. Have teak and holly sole. Plan to keep this boat so unless they are sea boots and it's blowing there are no shoes below. Sand is a ***** to clean out and scars the wood. Everyone I know does the same. Even when workers come aboard they automatically take theirs off. Never had to ask.
Personally find bare feet prone to slip. Use Keen sandals which seem to work better than my yuppie boat shoes,and cheapo flip flops when shore side

·
3,506 Posts
Since we are in and out of the dinghy in saltwater and sandy beaches most days, we keep a bucket of water on deck with a dipper and give our feet and legs a little rinse before venturing any further. Keeps the salt and sand out of the cockpit and down below.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You know, the short synopsis of this thread is that folks have different ideas of how to deal with the issue on their boat. It's THEIR boat. When on their boat, deal with it the way THEY wish. Why is that so complicated?

My boat's far from Bristol... yet I usually take my shoes off prior to boarding simply because I hate to clean. Actually, my boat is probably a pig compared to most of yours. I don't ask anyone else to do the same, mostly because I'm embarrassed that my boat is probably the crappiest boat in the marina. I'm working on it, and it's getting better, and everyone is nice to us, but when I bought it it was an eyesore.

When I board anyone else's boat, I always remove my shoes. Some appreciate it, some laugh at me and tell me it's not necessary. In either case, I've offended no one. Makes sense to me.

Barry

·
19,489 Posts
My main reason for taking my shoes off when down below and leaving them topside is because they sink!
Sink?? ;)... you got enough water down below to worry about that?? :p

·
Wind and pie move my boat.
428 Posts
This probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case...

Being the only game in town doesn't make you a professional... it just makes you the only game in town.

Barry
Nor does it preclude one FROM being a professional . Nor does it make void my right to decide where & under what conditions I will work . They called me 3 times & knew the scoop after the first trip . I'm not into running fool's errands. Next time you have idea genius......just let it go .

·
bell ringer
4,765 Posts
Nor does it preclude one FROM being a professional . Nor does it make void my right to decide where & under what conditions I will work . They called me 3 times & knew the scoop after the first trip . I'm not into running fool's errands. Next time you have idea genius......just let it go .
You come off as a very pleasant person in your responses to people who are basically responding to your posting. The other people didn't make you look this way, you did it all on your own and bragged about it.

·
428 Posts
You come off as a very pleasant person in your responses to people who are basically responding to your posting. The other people didn't make you look this way, you did it all on your own and bragged about it.
& another genius with nothing relevant to say is heard from

·
19,489 Posts
& another genius with nothing relevant to say is heard from
..and here's another.. Nobody here appears to have found your little parable in any way amusing or of value to this discussion, even as it has gotten otherwise carried away.

Your apparent attitude is rather appalling and since your continued efforts are not likely to generate any new business for you, I'd suggest you drop this now.

Reactions: tdw

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I think someone has nasty toe nail fungus. :)

In all seriousness, there could be reasons some people are sensitive to removing their shoes. Can't say, however, that I've ever seen someone with their shoes off on my boat, that I suddenly wished hadn't. Suppose it could happen.

·
428 Posts
I think someone has nasty toe nail fungus. :)

In all seriousness, there could be reasons some people are sensitive to removing their shoes. Can't say, however, that I've ever seen someone with their shoes off on my boat, that I suddenly wished hadn't. Suppose it could happen.

ok.......with the suggestion I have a nasty toe nail fungus I see a new level of low here so , get ready to be happy , I'm out . I maintain soft white soft white soles were appropriate for the event & that having to make 3 trips was not . Hope you all have a nice day .

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
Interesting perspectives from a new thread found here: Behavior On Other's Boats

Couple weeks ago I had a racing sailor on my boat . We were going along pretty good , making way nicely , & I was on the tiller drinking coffee admiring the water going by when he started tweaking everything. Five minutes later the boat is on it ear , the mast is shaking , my coffee is on the deck of the cockpit spilled , & the rig is about blow up . So......I came up on the wind higher as the boat was wanting to round up anyway til everything eased . He then turned to me & said ,"You weren't supposed to change course ." I didn't want to make a big deal out of it . He's a nice guy & I was trying to be a nice guy when I asked him along as his boat was out of service so I laughed it off & pointed out on my boat I often just change course as my mood suits me . The thing is this . I've seen this movie a few times . First off , I like to race as well , but having said that......not EVERY sail is a race . But more often then not when I've had racers on my boat it's some version of what I just described. Why is it that often when racers are aboard they feel comfortable sailing your boat their way & then take umbrage when you point that out to them . More often then not what comes next is a critique of my sailing from them which doesn't really smooth things over for me . I have a few miles under my keel & I choose to sail the way I sail as my preference & on my boat my right . This is actually the first time I haven't ended up being the bad guy cause I just kind of shrugged it off like I described . What I think is reasonable is that when on someone else's boat to follow that person's lead . It's not a huge issue as I mostly sail alone , but it is a recurring one & causes me to wonder at their mindset. Input ???

What I'm sort of taking away from this is I should mostly continue sailing alone . I have poor people skills & feel more at ease sailing by myself anyway . When I do sail with folks I pretty much limit "leading" to safety information like location of flotation devices & fire extinguishers . He's a nice guy & I'm sure he meant no harm .

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
I've only ever been asked once to remove my shoes on a boat I was boarding to to free a frozen through hull . I politely declined & moved on to my next endeavor of the day . At some point they found out I was the only game in town & called me a second time & asked me to come back & please hurry as we're trying to leave . I told them .....politely ....I would put their name back on the list . I ended up going back first thing the next morning & imagine my surprise when they asked me again to remove my shoes . Late in the afternoon they called me a third time & all but begged me to come back & had a long sad story about not being able to sail with the head not functioning . I put on a pair of black lug soled logging boots & went back , freed the through hull in about 5 minutes & charged them $150.00 instead of the $25 dollars I would have charged them . I hope they got the message . What a bunch of low bred ignorant ill mannered shoe clerk sons a bitches .
I have no idea where you got your professional training, but I can't remember the last time I had any worker come aboard our boat, who didn't take their shoes off at the rail. In drydock or at anchor, even the West Indians ALWAYS take their shoes off before walking around on someone's boat (even when I tell them they need not!).
Sorry, but if you were the only game in town, with your "low bred ignorant ill mannered", attitude, you wouldn't get a nickle out of me. I'd rather sh*t in a bucket than have you aboard my boat.

Reactions: bigdogandy

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
My philosophy is to leave a client's boat as clean as I found it - often that means it is cleaner.

How I accomplish that depends on many factors including the boat, the nature of the work, the temperature, and other weather factors.

Usually I take my shoes off. Sometimes I wear shoe covers ( Dynarex Corporation Regular Surgical Shoe Cover - 50 Pack - Walmart.com ). Sometimes I just have to clean up after myself (which is why I carry vinegar and Spray Nine).

I'm not going to risk my health or injury.

In my opinion clients should know I was on the boat because something works that didn't before and there is a line on their credit card bill (*grin*) not because of footprints on their sole.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts