SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking 23'''' , Buzz Bay > FLA - Advice?

Hello all,
I''m thinking of taking my 23'' Pearson from Buzzards Bay to Maryland and possibly from there to Florida. I''d consider myself an intermediate sailor as I''ve been on boats of various sizes for the past 15+yrs. I''ve done overnight trips to Maine and day trips to Block and Nantucket etc. However, I''ve never sailed MY boat any further than the Vineyard and Newport. Do you think this is feasible? I''d be attempting to hop along the coast and anchor or moor at night.

The boat has new halyards, lifelines, VHF, Depth and Knot meter, pump out head, 6gal fresh, 8hp four stroke outboard (with charging system), propane grill, sterno stove (replaced the alcohol) storm jib, 25''+ of chain and 300''+ anchor rhode, 2 10lb Danforth. I can provision roughly an additional 12 - 20gal fresh and enough canned food to last one month. I also tow a 9'' inflatable plywood flr with 8hp 2 stroke.

Any advice on books to read? Experiences etc. are as always GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers,
-Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taking 23'''' , Buzz Bay > FLA - Advice?

Thanks RichH for the url. Good point Jeff_H. Towing the raft has been a concern in terms of making headway. I only have a 3gal gas tank for the 4stroke but would carry at LEAST an additional 5 to 10 gallons. The mast and shrouds are only 14 yrs old, hallyards and life lines are about 3. I forgot to mention this but have two gps systems on board, one is simply a back up to track my lat/long the other is a Mariner eTrex with WAAS, I used on an overnight trip to Maine and it tracked beautifully with a Raytheon chart plotter.

Is there anywhere safe to anchor along NJ shore? I don''t mind if it''s not a harbor I have all my nav lights working just fine. Radar reflector too. And if I can convince a friend to come along there is the possibility of one or two overnights to cover the long stretches.

Thanks for the input guys!
-Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.