SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a frustration rant.

My Stuffing Box leaked like a sieve at the end of last year, so this weekend I repacked it with the Gore Teflon/GTX material. Pretty easy to do, even getting the old flax out. Two hours max. Cleaned everything up after reassembly, looks good.

Cleaned up the grime off the bellows hose and stood back and admired my work. Well now that everything is cleaned, got back in there and did a quick inspection of the bellows hose and the hose clamps connect it to the Stern Tube and Stuffing Box. Clamps look good, but I think I saw evidence of microcracking in the hose. Crap!! Well now that has to be replaced and the boat is scheduled to be launched in less than 3 weeks.

So I grab the Mrs to help remove the shaft coupling to start the process. Set screws come out without issue, and 3 of the 4 flange bolts, but the fourth bolt is stuck, I mean stuck. Tried PB Blaster on it, but so far after a few attempts still no luck. It's getting to the point where I may have to pay to get someone to remove it, as I have a bunch of other things to do and if I miss my launch date, I am the mercy of the yard and maybe charged per day.

I'm sure things will work out, but this is just a PITA right now.

DrB

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extra Fees

BTW, why would the yard charge you per day? Are you beyond your contracted storage agreement? I think mine is till the end of May.
Well no, but I did have them put me in a spot to be first in, which for some people is in front of other boats at my stoarge place. For me, I am in me only a one deep row, so I am not blocking any one. However, if you are in front of another boat and don't launch when you are scheduled to and impede others from getting their boats in the water when the want, they can charge you for a double move, to get the others behind you.

Also, if they step your mast and prepare for launch and then don't launch, they consider that a double move, so you are charged. They step the boat near the lift, not at your spot, so your boat is moved for the stepping.

If I let them know, I should be fine, but this is my first time with these guys and I had a little heartburn during pullout with the tide levels, so I don't 100%know.

DrB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.