SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this my first post so I thought I'd introduce myself. I am an old man (even by travellineasy's reckoning). I may be old but I will not "go gently in to that dark night", nor will I be the boat that never sailed. I race crewed and owned my own 26 footer but swallowed the hook 30 yrs ago. Now I will spit it up so, like John Masefield:
"I must go down to the see again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

So the hunt for my tall ship begins. I have been trolling through yachtworld for a couple of years as well as being an avid reader of Sailnet for several years. I will base myself out of Clear Lake or Corpus Christi TX. I have a few boats in mind that I will be viewing next week in the area.

Coming from Britain, I have always admired the ornamental brickwork on the old houses so I am looking at an ornamental brick: Hans Christian 33. Alternatively I might go for something lighter and faster: IP35. Then again, there is something to be said for the Moody 34, being British and all. Finally, something that should really satisfy my quirky eccentricity: a Freedom 40 cat ketch (I know: cored hull, I have read the threads).

I am not asking overtly for comment, but please feel free to let loose. I do have the English sense of humour: the art of the studied insult. So, have at it as long as it is good.

I really wrote this to say thank you for all the wonderful threads/post that I have been privileged to read these last several years. My thanks must go specifically to Smackdaddy for his write up of his buying/fixit process.

Thank you all very much. I raise a dark and stormy to you all from the high Chihuahua desert.

Paul

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the group. I have only visited the Clear Lake area, where I did sailing lessons a few years ago and really like that area.

I like the Hans Christian line. Beautiful boats with a nice traditional look. Looks like you're doing plenty of research so I wish you luck in finding your next boat.

I am an old man (even by travellineasy's reckoning).

Paul
So, what was Julius Caesar really like? :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
West, I have considered a Westsail 32, They are a bit light in the beam for my taste. I may need that extra 9"-1' Although my beam is not such that I need a Benny.

Paul

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
West, the Westail 32 is without doubt a beautiful boat. I actually like a transom hung rudder. I will be a semi-liveaboard with occasional visitors so I am looking at a two cabin layout. There is one in Rockport which, if well equipped and in Bristol condition, I will certainly look at while I am there.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Enjoy the hunt Paul! Don't set your bar too high . . . there are many suitable boats out there. The boat search is absolutely part of the process (and part of the fun) but if you want the experience on the other side . . . don't get hung up in the search process or specific criteria! Good luck. There are great resources here . . . use them!
Best
-M

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blowinstink,

I absolutely agree with you. I have been using the sailnet resources for at least two years now. Otherwise, I would not be where I am in the hunt. Posts by Jeff_H must always be read at least twice as must many others. If I lived in Canada South I would bring Bob Perry a bottle of wine, pick his brains and sing a few songs. Alas, I live in the land of Geronimo and the Billy the Kid so that is not likely to happen.

Thanks. Paul

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
As a fellow cruising Brit I will add my two pennies worth. ** Don't do cents }

If you want a salty looking solidly built boat with lots of teak the HC is hard to beat. Some of the Cheoy Lees are close and fetch a lot less.

BUT most of these boats have screwed down teak decks which have a finite life and are megabucks to replace in the states. So if it is a 25 year old boat have a very hard look at the decks.

Also the summer sun is a varnish killer.

My boat which I live on year round in the Caribbean has textured fiberglass decks and almost no exposed brightwork.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts