SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week I went hunting. I saw many boats in that week as well as just trolling the docks and chatting.

In my previous thread proposing the hunt I mentioned four boats of interest. The first one I saw was the IP 35. It was immaculate. The owner lost a chainplate so lost the rig. All standing/running rigging and sails are brand new. She is also very attractively priced for an IP35, just too pricey for me. The owner of the HC33 seemed more geek than sailor. It had a fantastic electronics set; all networked. However, the running rigging was battered. The standing rigging was Taiwanese stainless(original?). The stanchion bases were rusted. There was lots of water in the bilges, especially in the well under the engine. So, I moved on. The Moody 34 was nice boat. It has been recently refurbished with new standing/running rigging. Still, in all, it did not speak to me.

So now to the Freedom 40 cat ketch. She is an old girl now, 35 years. The previous owner, a very knowledgeable yard manager, extensively refurbished her I 2002, including replacing the wishbones with standard booms. The current owner was a meticulous tinkerer apparently. There is enough gear/spares to open a chandlery. I went over the boat using Sailingdog's list (without hammers, awls, and meters) and as far as I could see she is in excellent shape. Some engine problems but those are being fixed today. Well, to get to the point, she did not just speak to me: she sang. I made an offer, owner countered, I accepted the counter. Survey and sea trials scheduled for Sept. 3. The surveyor has a good rep and have already shared with him my concerns, particularly core rot in the hill. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Cheers. Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.

JerryRiggin: I got his name from Smackdaddy' write up on buying a boat. I spoke to various owners, a guy who owned a sail loft, a guy who owned a marine maintenance company, and finally the broker. They all confirmed the if he was not the best he was pretty close to it. Most said he was the best.

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
North,

Sailingdog's list is the second sticky (inspection tips) on the Boat Review and Purchase Forum. Make sure you read the whole thread. There is other great advice besides his. Are you going Cat 30 or Contest or is the field still open?

Paul

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Gluk, hope it passes with flying sails...

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,696 Posts
Congratulations....One word of caution on the carbon fiber masts. Probably 10-15 years ago there was a lot of discussion about possible fatigue issues with the carbon fiber free standing masts. I have not heard anything about this since so it may not have proven to be as much of a problem as folks thought at the time. Good luck with the survey.

Jeff

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for heads up Jeff. I have heard rumors about stress fracture and hairline fractures at the surface. I did take close look at the mast surfaces above and below the gooseneck and could see no signs of fracturing. However, the mast was painted about 10 yrs ago so they could be filled in and covered up by paint. A point for the surveyor.

Cheers. Paul

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,696 Posts
Symor i'm going to skip the dry humor and get right to it . This is not the boat for you . You see the heal here ? FREEDOM 40 (CC) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com Cats are notorious for weather helm and healing . I would come up with some dry quips but I'm not that smart .
While true catboats are prone to heavy weather helm, these are cat ketches. Between adjusting the centerboard, and the two sails, it should be easy to balance out the helm and so there should be no more weather helm than a properly designed and sailed sloop, cutter, or ketch.

You might be right about the heeling. Centerboard and shoal draft boats generally need a higher percentage of ballast as compared to a deeper keel boat. The Freedom 40 only has a 28% ballast ratio which is tiny when compared to similar concept hulls like the Brewer 12.8 at 47% or Bristol 41.1 at 40%. On the other hand, the Freedom balances that low ballast ratio with a smaller sail area, especially when you consider that a Freedom can't fly genoas like the other two. Other mitigating factors may be the lower height rig and the lighter weight spar. In practice I have observed these boats in a stiff breeze and they do not seem to heel excessively.

Jeff

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
We considered an aft cockpit Freedom 40 before buying the Bristol. Must say I was impressed with the boat. Certainly balance will not be an issue. We find with our sloop and centreboard we can balance very precisely - bit asset with vane steering. I don't think you can look at one picture of a boat heeling and decide anything about the boat. It seems to be pretty much hard on the wind but we have no idea what the wind strength is and whether they should have reefed (wonder which one) 5 knots ago. The pic could have been taken to make the boat look like it is going fast. I have seen talking about how wonderful boats like Alberg 37s and Contessa 26s are for blue water sailing. My experience with those boats is that they heel pretty easily to 30° and stay there. Not my cop of tea but the right boat for some people. Lot more information needed about the Freedom before we can judge.

Reactions: Westsailforever

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for comments. The picture comes from an early Freedom sales pamphlet. Like Killarney, I think the photo was done this way to give the illusion that this funny looking boat was fast and exciting. The sailboatdata picture of the aft cockpit is much more sedate.

I did get a hold of the stability curve. Correct me if my interpretation is wrong. I guess that's redundant). The leading edge of the curve has a steep slope indicating a relatively stiff boat. The maximum righting moment is at 40 degree heel angle with a value of 600-650. The area of positive stability is quite large and the AVS is 130. The area of negative stability is very small suggesting a reasonable propensity to right herself. I know these are static figures and the dynamic conditions will modify them considerably.

Jeff_H: I was surprised by the low Bal/Disp ratio. I do not know the correlation between this and the Stability Curve. The B/D indicates to me a rather unstable boat yet the Stability curves says something quite different. Any insights?

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time for an update.

The survey went very well. The surveyor found no soft/wet spots in either the hull or the deck. There were 8 findings that must be fixed and 8 findings that should be fixed. I am awaiting estimates for the work but it would appear to be in the $6-8000 range, some of which I hope will be picked up by the PO. She is hull #34 and has aluminum masts. This made it easier for the installation of Strong Tracks when the wishbones were replaced.

The sea trials also went very well. The previous PO (the one who the 2002 refit) was the skipper. He was like a dog with two tails. He said we were carrying too much sail so she did heel, but I wouldn't say more than 20 degrees. I found her pretty comfortable at that. We had a 10-15 knot breeze and were reaching at 6 knots. The PPO told me that at that wind speed she would probably point at around 50 degrees. Clearly I will not be competing with any Melges.

I did get the chance to meet Rain Dog and Ocean Girl as their boat was 4 slips down from me. Really delightful people.

Things are moving along, and I will keep you posted with progress. Pics will be forthcoming when I figure out how to post them.

Cheers. Paul

·
Registered
293 Posts
Time for an update.

The survey went very well.

The sea trials also went very well. The previous PO (the one who the 2002 refit) was the skipper. He was like a dog with two tails. He said we were carrying too much sail so she did heel, but I wouldn't say more than 20 degrees. I found her pretty comfortable at that. We had a 10-15 knot breeze and were reaching at 6 knots.

Cheers. Paul
Glad to hear that the survey went so well. Sounds like you found a great boat. I'm just surprised that in 10-15 knots on a reach, you were only getting 6 knots. I can understand that speed if close hauled, but on a reach?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was more or less a close reach. We tried really pointing but the speed dropped to 2 knots. Even then we were at least 40 degrees off the wind. Good job I just like sailing: don't need to go any where in particular.

Paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.