SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know where I could find the breaking strength and working load of an adjustable tang (like the side shroud ones on dinghys) with 1/4" pins. I am looking on sites but they dont seem to list either.

Edit: I found a table in a picture but what does max pin to pin mean?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I would guess that if you put the pins in the holes at both ends that would be the distance between them. Probably center to center.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
im confused...you have the info right there on that table!

safe working load 1000lbs for the 1/4 inch pin...breaking strength will probably and most likely be around 25% higher than that...however you dont need to know that.

with rigging all things are based on pin size "initially" so if your dinghy or chainplate etc has 1/4 inch hole and uses a 1/4 inch pin then you size your tangs, stays, turnbukles, toggles, wires, straps etc etc etc any and all hardware based on that size.

while its common to upsize rigging or chainplates for heavy duty offshore work(on bigger boats usually) its the pin size that dictates what the engineer specd.

those stay extenders and or tangs are great for dinghies...no reason to use turnbuckles

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
btw in rigging you always measure pin center to pin center...ALWAYS since hardware, turnbuckles etc change per manufacturer that way you can chose whatever rigging you want...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.