SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I was on the wrong forum before.
Tartan-27 vs. Cal 2-29 for coastal/ cruising? Similar price. Need I be concerned about the centerboard/keel on the T-27?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I can't help on the Cal except to say I have heard it's a solid boat. But for more info on the Tartan go here:Tartan 27 Profile and Perspective
In the upper right in "related links" go to t27 owner's forum for up to date information from those restoring, repairing T-27s.
Brian

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,101 Posts
Both are good designs for their time. but very different. That you are interested in both these boats suggests you might want to clarify your priorities, other than price.

The Tartan is an older, more traditional design, while the Cal is a more modern fin keel. PHRFNE rates a Tartan 27 at 234, a CAl 29-2 at 183. Makes this an easy choice to me.

If you want a salty look, some wood, and shallow draft, go Tartan. If you want some room down below, and sailing performance, and don't mind 5'+ draft, go Cal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ft. Lauderdale to Palatka

Well, I bought a boat- Tartan 27, with a diesel. Now I need to get her from Ft. Lauderdale to Palatka on the St. John's River to do some work. I would rather bring her up under sail/power, not sure of the time required. If I were to hire it done, would should I expect the cost to be?
Is there any sailing to be done in the St.John's (that area) after the re-fit?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Congrats on buying a boat built by a company that once made a quality product (yes, the T27 was their first production model with many still around). Mitiempo tried to link you to the Tartan 27 owners group but the page linked on that site is not where more then 200+ T27 owners gather. I started a yahoo group called: T27Owners and we have quite a few very active members. Create a yahoo id (free) and join the T27Owners group (free). There are a few T27 owners who are members who might interested helping you with the delivery/transit of your boat from Fart Louderdale to the St. Johns River.
As others have stated the T27 is an older design with nicer lines then the Cal 29 and (ugh) more external teak depending on when it was made. The T27 was made as a tough coastal cruiser that can handle some sloppy conditions with the right skipper and crew.
The trip from Ft. Lauderdale could be done in the ditch or outside when the weather window suits. It is over 300 nautical miles (nm) to Jacksonville/St. Johns river entrance. In the ditch you would be lucky to get 50 nm per day under your belt; weather, traffic and bridge openings permitting and that would be setting out after daybreak and finding an anchorage or mooring in late afternoon. Getting to Jacksonville could take a week, weather permitting.
If you had the weather window for motor/sailing outside and had the crew to go 24/7 with all systems reliable it could be done in about 3 - 4 days to JAX on the ocean.
It is about another 80 nm up the St. Johns to Palatka which could be done in 2 days in daylight only. I don't know the St. Johns or it's tidal currents but my guess-timates are based on making about 4 - 5 knots of speed most of the time whether motoring or sailing.
I don't know what delivery skippers are charging these days but at a minimum it would cost you about $250/day for a captain and maybe another crew member to bring it up for you. At that rate for nearly 7 days it would be: $1750. Beware of cheap delivery captains with few credentials.
If you can take the time I recommend you try to get her up to the St. Johns and at your leisure get her up to Palatka if you can find some crew (again, check the T27Owners group on yahoo as well as the Crew Wanted section here on SN). What most potential crew members are going to want to know about are your sailing background, the systems on the boat (VHF, GPS, Chartplotter, Autopilot, Radar reflector, etc), the shape and age of the rigging, tender or dinghy, anchors, reefing lines for the main etc, etc...
Which hull # did you buy? Are the diesel and sails in good shape? Does the center board come up and down easily? Is there a roller furler jib? What kind of stove in the galley?
I did a delivery of our new to us T27 from East Hampton (almost Montauk) to the western LI Sound which was just under 100 nm. No 'ditch' to go in but we took 3 leisurely days in protected waters and relied on the old Atomic bomb (A4) a lot. I highly recommend that you participate in and organize this delivery trip yourself because you will learn a lot about the boat, it's systems, the FL coastal waters and you will understand your 'new' old girls capabilities.
I will add that a total crew of 3 on a T27 for a multiple day trip is probably optimal as you will need to use a bunch of space for other things. A crew of 4 is the practical limit but will be crowded, IMHO.
PM me or email me if you have any concerns.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughtful answers. It seems the trip is longer than I anticipated, and I may be better off shipping the boat. I intended to do some work before committing to such a voyage, as I am apprehensive of my sailing skills and the soundness of the boat, and do not want an unpleasant maiden voyage.
Just got tired of looking all over the state at boats while the summer was slipping away, so 'tripped the trigger'. At least the engine and hull are strong- mainsail needs repair.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
OK. Now we are getting somewhere.
The mainsail needs repair and the hull and engine are strong. So you do the 'ICW' up to JAX instead of going outside. I would still get the mainsail repaired before the trip or even consider getting a new main. Frankly that is probably what I would choose in your shoes; stay near shore with an unproven boat, even if it is a T27.
I suggest you research the shipping costs and you really should join the yahoo group T27Owners.
Summer is not really the best time to be sailing in FL because of the heat and bugs so if you can wait till the hurricane season is waning then you might have other options.
Sorry to scare you but 300+ nm is not an insignificant trip in any coastal cruiser, much less for a maiden voyage. I hope you have had or will do a shakedown sail and a survey done by a reputable surveyor of the boat.
If the engine is relatively new the boat can be mostly motored to JAX with no problems (hopefully) up the ICW, aka, 'ditch'.
A new main sail will probably cost you less then the price of shipping the boat by a hauler.
I repeat the questions you did not answer:
Which hull # did you buy? Does the center board come up and down easily? Is there a roller furler jib? What kind of stove in the galley? Is the head system sound?
I know a lot about these boats but I only own one and many of them have been customized over the years.
We have one T27Owner member who has his boat in the Marquesas (in the S. Pacific) and others who have gone to the Bahamas and back. They can be tough little boats that stand up to a lot of weather.
Your boat, your choices.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
My bad

If you read all my post you'd see I sent him to the right link.
Brian
The link for 'T27 Owners Forum' DOES take you to the yahoo group T27Owners.
The link for 'T27 Owners Group' takes you to the Texas Shirt Company which is owned by one of the T27 owners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I don't mind being called wrong when I am, but when I'm right it bothers me a bit. The link I posted gives the diogenes726 information on the Tartan 27 including original brochures, production history etc., as well as the proper link to the forum which I am a member of.
Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, gentlemen. I have joined the Group.
Also, have a quote to ship the boat to Palatka. Seems a shame not to enjoy what would be no doubt a great trip, but I haven't the time now. I think I'll stay 1 month in Pompano while I sort some things out, may get to sneak away a few times to visit, and be ready to charge hard by September.

·
Registered
93 Posts
congrats on the boat !
I did my maiden voyage of approx 250 nm two seasons ago from Grand Mannan New Brunswick to LaHave Nova Scotia, in October. Our new boat was a 1975 tartan 30 tall rig ( Anomaly from Mass. USA, renamed Old Sting).
This took a week ( we got storm stayed in Port Clyde for two days, where a retired fisherman invited us to use his mooring and they prepared us a fine supper.)

This was one of the best weeks of my life , a never forgettable week away from everything with my girlfriend.The night we went to supper I couldn't wait to get back to our cacoon as we hadn't been off her for 5 days.

I had test sailed the boat once, slept on her overnight then a month later the seller picked us up and we sailed home after installing a propane furnace.

the only failure i have had in two years is a broken rudder that I am currently trying to fix. Those old Tartans get soggy rudders and then they let go inside; be sure you know how to jury rig that so you can still use the rudder in a bind. I think the rudder would still be working except that i tend to push " Old Sting" a bit hard, the ruddr failed the next day after flying the spinnaker on a broad reach in 15 to 20 knots and a swell of 10 feet or so with a full main, so we were pushing the rudder in a stall position that overwhelmed it.

I would suggest do the adventure !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts