SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My T-30 rudder post tube is leaking and I was wondering if anyone might have had a similar problem or had any ideas on how to fix it.
It is pretty much the standard set up.
The bronze rudder post runs up to the tiller through a brown, plastic fiber-type tube. (I will post pictures as soon as I get a new phone. Last one went into the bilge.)
The problem is this:
The plastic tube appears to be fused to the rudder post. When you move the tiller, the entire tube swivels with the post. The bottom of the post, is no longer glassed to the inside of the hull, allowing water to enter.
I am thinking that the previous owner had tried to fix the leak by slathering epoxy around the tube and some of it got inside the tube, fusing the tube and the post.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a similar construction method on my T34C. Unfortunately, if you want to fix it properly, you’ll have to drop the rudder, remove the outer tube and inner liner. Then reconstruct it the way it was originally built. The inner liner is a wear item anyway so it’s a good time to replace it as like me, you’ve likely got some play between the rudder shaft and liner once it’s free and working properly. The bronze outer tube MUST be bonded to the hull. Then the liner (no idea what it’s made of, been trying to figure that out on mine) MUST be bonded to the outer tube. Then the rudder shaft is inserted and MUST be able to rotate within the liner. No way around that. It’s really not that big of a project being that your outer tube is already broken loose from the hull. Breaking it loose is the hard part. Basically you’re just rebuilding it once removed. If you contact Tartan they should be able to tell you what material was used for the liner. Mine looks like some sort of reddish, pressed fiber type material. I only hav an opinion on this as I rebuilt my rudder last year and examined the design closely to formulate a plan for adding an upper rudder bearing that bolts to the cockpit floor and provides support from that. Hope that helps a bit. AA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much Alanr.
I'll be dropping the rudder tomorrow, and I'm really glad to have your observations and comments.
Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be an outside tube, just the brownish, plastic liner you mentioned. Could be a previous owner removed it.
In any case, I'm in agreement with you that such a problem should be dealt with correctly by dismantling and rebuilding.
I'm thinking of installing a copper pipe for the outer tube and epoxying it, then adding some new bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts