SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Reaction score
There is a very nice writeup on the evolution of S&S 30 foot designs that is posted on the Sparkman and Stevens Association website. The author discusses both the Tartan 30 and the 3000. Sailnet won't let me post the link, but if you Google S&S and "Tartan 3000" it will show up.

I looked seriously at Tartan 30's last year, and while I very much like the boat I never found the right one for me. I looked at one 3000 and liked it even more, but it turned out the Westerbeke was toast (low compression) so I lost interest. The 3000 has a more modern deck and cockpit layout, with all of the controls led to the cockpit, and the traveler on the bridgedeck instead of back on the transom. It also has a more modern double spreader rig with a lighter mast section, and a more modern underbody, without the skeg that the 30 had. The interior is pretty different too. Some owners noted that the boat lacks adequate storage. The 3000 has a nice nav station against the aft port bulkhead, giving up a quarter berth. The galley is against the stbd aft bulkhead, so there is no quarter berth there either. It has something like 8 opening ports, and I think 2 hatches. The 3000 is somewhat lighter than the 30. The 30 had a solid glass hull. The 3000 is balsa cored above the waterline, solid below. The 3000 rates about 9sec/mile faster than the 30 in PHRF New England. There seem to be a bunch of them for sale around Annapolis these days.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.