SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Tartan 38? I currently have a Cape Dory 28 that I've sailed for the last few year and am looking at upgrading to something bigger. I've done a little searching and it looks like the Tartan 38 is basically the same hull as the Tartan 37 with a taller rig and deep keel. Has anyone raced with it? How would it do cruising? Any known issues on Tartan hulls in general to be aware of? Also, how is the headroom? (I'm 6'-2") As always, thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I found this review of The Tartan 37. While it is not the same boat, it's good information about the quality of the build.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,317 Posts
You are correct in that the 38 is basically the 37 but tall rig and deep fixed fin keel...

It should point better and faster upwind but otherwise the same...

Check out Tartan 37 Facebook page and group as the website www.tartan37.com is dead.

Of course like any boat of this age... There could be issues anywhere... But there are no known issues that plaque these boats. You read about the hull/deck joint but I've never heard anyone have an issue.

I have things I don't like about the boat having owned it for 16 years now... But most are things related to age not design and build.

I've completed a lot of upgrades and repairs through the years... And they never stop... But that's boat ownership isn't it ;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Tartan37.com is up, running and has been working well. Just about anything you could want to know about that hull, regular communications and "how to's." Good bunch of information.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,317 Posts
I stand corrected... The page was not very active but yes, a quick check-in says otherwise which is great to see ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts